Susanne 's Reviews > Rude awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict

Rude awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

Dec 14, 2011

Recommended for: lovers of the chick-lit genre
Read in September, 2011

This is the second book in a pair, but you can easily read this one as a stand-alone novel. It’s similar to Kate & Leopold (the movie) and quite charming.

The main character is Jane Mansfield who awakens in twenty-first century L.A. in Courtney Stones body. A young man named Wes arrives who calls her Courtney. Is he a servant? Who is Courtney? Ladies arrive for a visit concerned by her odd behavior. Why is she acting like a character in a Jane Austen novel? Jane Mansfield, who has lived her whole life in Regency England, has a hard time (say the least) to adjust to modern living. As she learns, we learn. The main plot is the relationship between Jane and Wes with several intriguing subplots; how did she end up here and can she go back, and Jane’s adjustment to modern society life. I laughed out loud at several occasions.

I liked this book a lot – you cannot help to fall in love with sweet Jane and Wes. It’s hilarious to see the contemporary world from her perspective and see her struggle with Courtney's problem and make a life for herself. Despite the unrealistic setting I actually found this book to be quite believable. There is absolutely a story structure and I didn’t know about the end – will she stay or will she find a way to go back?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rude awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict.