Jennifer's Reviews > The Evolution of Mara Dyer

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012, favorites
Read on August 17, 2012

THE EVOLUTION OF MARA DYER, quickly became one of my favorite new release reads of 2012. Michelle Hodkin certainly isn't suffering from second book syndrome.

I love Mara Dyer -- I love her voice, I love her brand of humor, I love her sarcastic nature I love her take-action attitude -- if Mara were real she'd be my real live BFF. Michelle Hodkin has created a character that is both strong (while still needing/accepting help) and smart, a character readers can look up to.

THE EVOLUTION OF MARA DYER, starts within a day of where Volume One ends, we immediately find out what happens after Mara meets Jude in the police station. Our much loved main character along with the sexy Noah, are truly tested in this book. Hodkin does not let down, the book is equal parts exciting and creepy (you'll want to read with all the lights on) and her signature LOL-romantic moments between the young couple.

Both the main characters and secondary characters are fleshed out in Volume Two, we learn a lot more about every character; speficially Mara and Noah's family history also Noah's personal history. Many new characters are introduced and they certainly shake up the plot.

I love that the author has included Mara's family in the series, we don't see her running around at all hours with no parental control, I think it adds authenticity to the story and readerscan relate to Mara's relationship with her parents. In so many YA books a certain formula seems to be followed (in book two we usually see another love interest added or a major problem will present itself to cause tension between the couple), it was lovely to see the characters relationship strengthen and grow during hard times.

All in all, no complaints, I think anyone would be hard pressed to find one -- besides the obvious cliff hanger/wait for Book Three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evolution of Mara Dyer.

08/16/2012 page 320
59.0% "SO SO SO wonderful"