Tsering yangzom's Reviews > The Joy Luck Club

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Jun 17, 08

ok i admit that i saw the movie before i read the book.That should have never been done!
After reading this book i felt better about myself.Being born to a tibetan father and a chinese mother(how did that happen?) in India i had no problems with my identity because i belonged to a small community.But lately,okay couple of years ago, friends and relatives alike started confusing my identity.I was never messed up.I know who i am but others would confuse it.So this book is pretty much about the same.But in my case its my gramps who had the major role play.
Its with most immigrants and its first generation offsprings and this book tells its stories beautifully.We are all trying so hard not to dilute or let go of our culture and traditions.Every kid nowadays think that short-cut works and being a little casual,regarding sentiments and family values,is acceptable.Such dolts! We have one generation of opposite individuals.On one end we have the casual by-standers and on the other we have agressive fanatics.okay ,now here i don't exactly know where i stand,but i respect values.Nobody should be ashamed of his/her past or be so proud that you become blind towards other unfortunate beings.In the end life isn't always ha-ha-he-he but a little bit of cheer and light heartedness doesn't harm anyone.I learnt to laugh despite the odds and unwanted confusion.Who is a Chinese and Who is the Tibetan or whatever here? I am an Indian!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Joy Luck Club.