Kelsey's Reviews > Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution

1561929
Dec 14, 11

bookshelves: popular-fiction
Read in December, 2011

I thought about giving this novel only three stars. The ending was so-so and felt rushed, some of the minor characters were difficult to keep track of, and the heroine, who I originally liked very much, made several decisions relating to men that didn't make sense with the rest of her character. I forgave most of these offenses because they are the result of writing historical fiction, and this novel was one of the better books I've read about the French Revolution that helped me understand who was who and what was going on (it is a confusing mess!). Major plot points can't be changed because the characters were real people. My only tiff with that is that Marie, the protagonist, could have been characterized differently to make the relationship decisions mentioned earlier more believable. I also wish the author would have given more time to the Reign of Terror. I felt as if the story rushed through that unpleasant ordeal to wrap up the novel, like the author didn't give herself enough time to pace the entire thing evenly. Maybe other people didn't feel this way, and it wasn't a make-or-break sort of thing, but I found it odd.

Overall, the writing was excellent, I was invested in the characters, and I would recommend this to anyone interested in some good historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madame Tussaud.