Bruce Henderson's Reviews > Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover if Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie is Not the Answer

Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster

M_50x66
Jul 28, 08

Recommended to Bruce by: Book club selection -- we gave it a shot hoping for the best.
Recommended for: nobody.
Read in July, 2008

Not my normal cuppa joe, but it might prove to be worthwhile. Thus far, the book's main character, the author herself, proves to be narcissistic to the point of bombasticism. Not a good combination. On top of that, she's in a constant state of denial about herself and rationalizes differing opinions until she's focused all of her attentions back on herself. She reminds me of a character in Confederacy of Dunces, Ignatius J. Reilly.

...Okay, I finished this book a few weeks ago. I'm not the better for it. The author's sense of humor is biting. This book does not provide much more than a trip down the sidewalk of her existence. Not necessarily a fun trip. She is condescending to a fault and she wears thin too soon. The book is in serious need of a strict editor to provide something else. But that really isn't the point of this book, and I suspect the same can be said of her other books. She also overindulges in a wrong-headed stylistic quirk that should have been killed by the editor after the first use: she used 175 "footnotes" that would have been perfectly served as parentheticated phrases within the main body text. As footnotes they became tedious and dreaded. But like a train wreck, you read them anyway and feel irked at every one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Pretty Fat.