Tanya's Reviews > sTORI Telling

sTORI Telling by Tori Spelling

Dec 13, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-book-list, audio-cd, audio-abridged, audiobooks, read-by-the-author
Read from December 13 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

There are definitely parts of Tori Spelling's story that I don't like, but after reading her two books back to back I'm really seeing a different side from what I first thought I knew.
I don't watch Tori & Dean. I stopped watching 90210 long before Donna and David FINALLY got married. All I knew is that Tori Spelling came across as spoiled, ditsy, and, well, that about covers it. I didn't really know much about her personal life. I mean, I like a good gossip magazine, but her stories were outside of my interest. I knew after her dad died, she didn't get along with her mother. I remember reading that she got together with her current husband, while both of them were still married. But other than that, she was just that dumb, rich, blonde. Imagine my surprise to hear her talk candidly about her relationship with her mother, father, and husbands (1st, 2nd and gay). Talk about the debt, and the fact that she received .16% of her father's vast fortune when he died (that's about $800,000 - which she admits is a lot of money, but when you're raised with a platinum spoon in your mouth, it's hard to adjust). She talks love and loss. It was very enlightening to experience her point of view. Again, I don't like it all, i.e. I don't appreciate that she cheated on her first husband. Actually there's something I don't trust about her new husband, but I'm not sure what that's all about, and her mom comes across as just plain evil (yes this is Tori's pov, but come on, those words wouldn't come out of a normal person's mouth! They just couldn't!!), but I really liked these books. Tori Spelling is not what you think.
She actually has some pretty profound thoughts. And while not necessarily educated, she's not dumb. There's a business savvy there, and while her views of some things are really off, she generally knows the business she's in, and how to do what needs to be done.

She's a real person with hopes and fears. She laughs at herself (which admittedly I wasn't sure if she was being intentionally funny or not), says things she shouldn't, but has strong convictions (that yes, are eschewed by her surroundings and upbringing, but still!). These books (and yes, I'm reviewing this and Mommywood as a series) are entertaining, enlightening, touching, and infuriating.
I wish Tori Spelling happiness, and actually I can't wait until she writes another book! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read sTORI Telling.

12/13/2011
30.0% "She's quite candid. It's kinda refreshing."
12/16/2011
80.0% "I actually cried on the way home reading this. When she talks about her relationship with Nanny and when she died, I literally had tears streaming down my face. I'm such a wuss."