Laurie Stoll's Reviews > Growing Up bin Laden: Osama's Wife and Son Take Us Inside Their Secret World

Growing Up bin Laden by Najwa bin Laden

F_50x66
Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: jean-sasson, favorites
Read in December, 2011

Another exceptional book that I've added to my short list of "favorites".

Due to the sensitive nature of the topic of this book I don't think this factual story could have been told any more perfect. I have so much admiration for Najwa and Omar, especially Omar! After reading Omar's story I wish I could wrap my arms around him and give him a hug. I'd tell him how proud I am of the courage it took to tell his story and I would tell him that the world does NOT hate him or his family, just the actions of his father and his followers.

As with every book Jean Sasson has written I hated for the book to end. I am very glad that the edition of this book had a follow up at the end answering many questions regarding Najwa's and Omar's family members.

As a footnote: I was very fortunate that I read this book while living in the "Middle East". My husband and I are currently living in Bahrain and I have been very fortunate to meet some very warm and friendly people. Not all Muslims are terrorists.

Also, and this is only MY opionion. I do feel that many Muslims feel that Westerner's do not respect their religion. I have to disagree with this sentiment. It's not that we don't respect their religion it's that many of us know nothing or very little of Islamic beliefs. Therefore, if we ever appear "offensive" it's due to not being familiar with the customs and cultures of a religion that most of us never came in contact with living in the United States.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Growing Up bin Laden.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jean Sasson Thank you for this very thoughtful review. It means a lot to me and I am sure the family will appreciate it too. Your reaction was exactly what I was hoping for from readers.