Victoria's Reviews > Flowers in the Attic

1219675
Jun 16, 2008

it was ok
Read in January, 2000

At some point after graduating high school, I decided to read at least one book by certain popular authors. This was V.C. Andrews most popular book, so this is what I read. Subject matter aside, Andrews writes well. While not the best author I've read, she's far from the worst and deserves her faithful following. However, when rating the book, I couldn't simply look at quality of writing; I had to look at what the story was about.

The first in Andrews' Dollanganger books, Flowers in the Attic tells the story of a young widow who moves back home with her four children. And, basically, the rest of the book deals with this woman's desire for redemption in the eyes of her parents for her incestuous relationship with her uncle... the father of her children. To do this, she must marry again, and better this time. Now, what man wants to marry a woman with four children she conceived with her uncle? Not many. So, the children are locked away in the attic, hence the title. Needless to say, when you lock up four kids - two of whom are teenagers - things aren't going to go very well. I must admit, it was the ending that disturbed me the most, but I won't give it away here. And, I suppose, I wouldn't have found some of the content so unsettling if I hadn't found incest to be a common theme in other Andrews books I read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers in the Attic.

04/08/2016 marked as: read