Aestas Book Blog's Reviews > The Reluctant Dom

The Reluctant Dom by Tymber Dalton

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: favorites, 6-star-books, book-1-of-my-fav-series
Recommended for: Anyone with an open mind who loves deeply emotional stories
Read from January 29 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy

Wow. I feel emotionally shellshocked after reading this. This is definitely one of those books that is going to stay with me. Forever.
I sobbed. Not just like a lot of tears, like 100%, full-fledged weeping. Many times. .... But I also laughed.
This book is beautiful. I don't know how else to describe it. It has also totally rearranged my definition of 'kink'.
But also, and very importantly, the point of the book was not the kink. It was the emotional journey that the characters go though. The sex isn't the focus of the story, its part of what conveys the story.

This is a love story. Its a story of unconditional and immeasurable love. All kinds of love.

I'm very much of a "hero meets heroine and they live happily ever after, no other partners ever" kind of reader. But for some reason, the 3-way relationship that developed in this book didn't set off any of my 'alarm bells'. With the way it was presented it, I totally accepted it with all my heart.
The only thing that still got to me was the 'Master/slave' thing. I don't mind the Master thing even, or the sub thing, but I personally just don't like the word 'slave'. But again, with the way the book was written and with the way the story was presented, I was able to accept it.

And I really liked the explanation of the title. I was wrong about what I thought it meant. I won't spoil it for you, but I really liked how it was explained.

I highly recommend this book is you are looking for a book that will make you FEEL.
Its beautiful.

I've never read anything like it. And I can't stop thinking about it.

I don't know what else to say... except that this book should come with a box of kleenex.

6++ solid stars.

PS If you are not already somewhat familiar with the BDSM world, I'd say that reading the Fifty Shades trilogy is a must BEFORE this... It will help ease you in so that when you read this, it's less about the culture shock of the world, and more about the love story. Just my opinion :)

EDIT: I'm writing this about 3 weeks after having read the book and I just wanted to say that I haven't been able to get it off my mind. I've read many books after (although it took me several days before I could even contemplate reading another) and still, I can't stop thinking about this one. I think Kaden has definitely made my list of fav book male characters. His strength is so haunting. I found a song that for whatever reason, I have associated with the feeling from this book and I've been listening to it a lot. It's not the lyrics of the song that I connect with the book, but I connect the "feeling" of the song to the "feeling" of the book. It's Hurricane by 30 Seconds to Mars (the version featuring Kanye West, not the one without him).

For more of my reviews, come visit my book blog at: http://aestasbookblog.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Dom.

Quotes Aestas Book Blog Liked

Tymber Dalton
“I'm still not doing you”
Tymber Dalton, The Reluctant Dom

01/29/2012 "oh boy. here goes. I'm all set with many boxes of kleenex."
01/29/2012
10.0% "I'm with Seth on this. F*ck!"
01/29/2012
15.0% "First tears. Oh boy"
01/29/2012
27.0% "Wow this author is GOOOOOOD. I love her writing style"
01/29/2012
43.0% "My definitions of kink have been seriously rearranged"
01/30/2012
60.0% "3:17am. Yup I'm not sleeping tonight ..." 4 comments
01/30/2012
69.0% "ok. starting again. deep breath. bring on the kink and the tears."

Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!* Wow awesome review! You just moved this up on my TBR List.

Aestas Book Blog Thanks! Highly, highly recommend it. I guarantee laughter and many many tears

message 3: by Cortney (new)

Cortney Great review Aestas! I'm still a little reluctant to read this though. Fifty shades was pushing it for me.

Aestas Book Blog Thank you :) I won't lie, this book makes Fifty look pretty tame. But it's not about humiliation or pain or anything. It's about love, coping with trauma, and dealing with the cards you are dealt. It has really opened my mind regarding the concept of love and accepting what different people need. I'm not into BDSM myself but I think the way to look at it here is that you just have to accept the lifestyle as it is presented and as it affects the characters and not question it because the kink is NOT the focus of the story. I can't stress that enough. IMO the focus was the love story. Love comes in all different manifestations and I just kinda reached a point of 'who am I to judge what makes them happy?' and it clearly does, so I just accepted the kink, and went on to enjoy the story.
Let me tell you though, hours later, I'm literally just sitting her thinking about it. I can't get it off my mind. Really emotionall powerful story.

NanaVamp It took me a couple of days to pick up another book to read. Your right..its about love and coping w/ tragedy.

Aestas Book Blog I'm still in a funk over it. Gotta try and force myself to read something else today.

Kelly I just finished this a couple of days ago, and definitely agree that a box of kleenex is needed.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Beautiful review. I am now intrigued to read this story. My only question is does it have a happily ever after. It sounds like a sad story?

message 9: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Feb 22, 2012 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) wrote: "Beautiful review. I am now intrigued to read this story. My only question is does it have a happily ever after. It sounds like a sad story?"

Thank you! You HAVE to read it. I think its one of my top 5 books ever. I'm going to answer your question as hidden spoiler because there is no way to answer it without revealing some plot details. But the point of the story is not the plot lines, its the emotional journey that the characters go through.

If you don't want to read the spoiler, then I can say that it's not your classic boy meets girl -> HEA kind of story. But the ending is beautiful and perfect for this story.

If you prefer to know the plot in advance, here it is. Like I said, you'll be reading the book for the emotional journey, not the plot... so personally I don't think knowing the plot makes much difference. But I'll leave that decision up to you.

MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS AHEAD (last warning lol)

(view spoiler)

I still haven't stopped thinking about it. Kaden is literally one of the strongest characters I've ever read about. The whole story is just beautiful.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Thank you for answering my question. I read the spoiler. I have added it to my tbr pile and will for sure give it a go. Thank you!

Aestas Book Blog You're welcome :) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Be sure to stock up on kleenex before though!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Great review! This is exactly how I felt. I LOVED this book. Have you read anything else by this author?

Aestas Book Blog Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Great review! This is exactly how I felt. I LOVED this book. Have you read anything else by this author?"

Thank you! I haven't and I'm not sure I'm going to right away. I have heard mixed comments about her other work so I'm putting them on the back burner for now... I will eventually try them out though. But I don't think anything will compare to this book.

Taryn at My Secret Romance I was the same way after finishing this book. I just couldn't read anything else by her yet. I did buy Domme by Default by Tymber Dalton though after I finished this book. I heard it was really good. I also heard Love Slave for Two (Love Slave for Two, #1) by Tymber Dalton was very good as well, but I didn't buy it.

Aestas Book Blog I'm sure I'll get around to them eventually. At this point though, my to-read list is mammoth so I'm prioritizing by reading the ones I'm guaranteed to love first. If you read them, I'd love to know what you think though :)

message 16: by Taryn at My Secret Romance (last edited Feb 22, 2012 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Taryn at My Secret Romance LOL Yes, my list is ever growing too! I want to go through it and really look at the books and delete what I know won't read. But just the thought of it makes me want to run the other way. There are too many books! LOL

Have you read Cherise Sinclair's Shadowlands Series?

Aestas Book Blog Not yet. They are high on my TBR list :)
My latest 5 star read was On the Island. Very different style of romance book. But really really good.
I'm thinking my next epic tear-jerker romance that I read will be the Tatiana and Alexander trilogy.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Cherise is soooooo good!

I keep hearing about On the Island...I'm going to have to get it soon.

I've never heard of the Tatiana one. Who's the author?

message 19: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Feb 22, 2012 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog On the Island is a quick read though not a short story. Highly recommend it.

Here are the links to the Tatiana and Alexander trilogy. From what I hear its supposed to be one of the most epic love stories ever told. Another 'read with kleenex' one. But it does have a classic HEA. I believe the series follows their lives from teenagers to old age.

The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons Tatiana and Alexander (Tatiana and Alexander, #2) by Paullina Simons The Summer Garden (Tatiana and Alexander, #3) by Paullina Simons

Taryn at My Secret Romance Thank you so much! I do love when a series has the continuation of characters.

Aestas Book Blog No problem! Ya, me too. The only other story I know that really does that is Outlander (if you haven't read those, they are another MUST read) but they aren't done yet.

Taryn at My Secret Romance I tried the Outlander and I wasn't crazy about it. I got through about half of the first book and had to stop. I think one day I will go back and try them again. It was my first ever historical book and I think that's probably the wrong book to start with. I was so lost with it all.

Kallypso Masters also has a continuation series too. It's BDSM and you absolutely must read those in order. I think there was another author I read recently that does it as well, but I can't remember. lol Sorry!

message 23: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Feb 22, 2012 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog hmmm ya I know what you mean... it not one of those books that grabs you from page one. I found I really started to get into it about 3/4 of the way through. I pushed through because it was a long series. Once you get into the world, it picks up really nicely. Its the only historical I've ever read though. I'm not usually into those.

I've heard about Kallypso. They are also on my TBR list. The never ending list.. I read one book and add 5. Just can't win :p

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I just love all of the recommendations. I am new to this genre so anything I can get my hands on is great.

message 25: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Feb 23, 2012 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog Hi JoJo :) By "genre", do you mean romance or BDSM? If you want a heart clutching romance (of course with HEAs), try: Thoughtless by S.C. Stephens and the sequel Effortless (Thoughtless, #2) by S.C. Stephens.

If you want BDSM, I see that you have already read Fifty Shades, so I've been hearing the most buzz about this series (but haven't read it yet - high on my TBR pile) Club Shadowlands (Masters of the Shadowlands, #1) by Cherise Sinclair

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I am new to erotica and bdsm. I love a good romance and the stories I choose must have a hea and a good romance. I am a stickler for romance. I will check out your recs. Thank you.

Kathryn Oh my *slight swoon* I'm moving this one up for this weekend! I've been wondering about it.. thanks for the wonderful review Aestas! The author should thank you as well!

And thanks for all the extra book suggestions everyone!

Aestas Book Blog Kathryn wrote: "Oh my *slight swoon* I'm moving this one up for this weekend! I've been wondering about it.. thanks for the wonderful review Aestas! The author should thank you as well!

And thanks for all the ext..."

So glad you liked the review! This book is really one of those that just stays with you forever - enjoy!!

Kathryn I need a good emotional let go so I think your recommend came right at a good time! I'll let you know!

message 30: by Leyoh (new) - added it

Leyoh Great review Aestas - I'm not far behind you with this one but need to start Fifty Shades Freed first. I'll come back to your review once I've read it, won't be for a while yet though as my HAVE TO READ NOW pile it huge.

message 31: by Leyoh (new) - added it

Leyoh Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "I tried the Outlander and I wasn't crazy about it. I got through about half of the first book and had to stop. I think one day I will go back and try them again. It was my first ever historical boo..."

Taryn - just on your Outlander comment - the first half of the first book is the worst part of the entire series, it doesn't convey the story well at all to initial readers and took me weeks to get through but once I did it was amazing and continues to be. I'm on the Fiery Cross and hope to always be reading one of Diana's books as Jamie Fraser is one guy I can't every imagine letting go!

message 32: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Feb 23, 2012 10:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog Leyoh wrote: "Great review Aestas - I'm not far behind you with this one but need to start Fifty Shades Freed first. I'll come back to your review once I've read it, won't be for a while yet though as my HAVE TO..."

Thanks! If you are comfortable with the BDSM world, you will LOVE (shouty caps) this book. I still get choked up whenever I think about for more than a few mins. I'd love to hear what you think of it :)

message 33: by Leyoh (new) - added it

Leyoh Oh I'm more than comfortable even if my hands are tied behind my back and I'm too sore to sit! I'll be sure to review.

Aestas Book Blog HAHAHAA best answer!!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Agreed that was a good answer. LOL

Taryn at My Secret Romance Leyoh wrote: "Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "I tried the Outlander and I wasn't crazy about it. I got through about half of the first book and had to stop. I think one day I will go back and try them again...."

I will admit that I am intrigued by all the love this series (Outlander books) receives. I will eventually try it again but I'm too into erotca/bdsm at the moment that I know I wouldn't like this book right now. The time will come when I am reading for histroicals again. Until then...

message 37: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Feb 23, 2012 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog Here's a quote from Outlander to tempt you :)

“When the day shall come that we do part," he said softly, and turned to look at me, "if my last words are not 'I love you'-ye'll ken it was because I didna have time.” (Jamie Fraser)

*swoon*

but still... no matter how swoon-worth the Outlander may be. I've never read ANYTHING that has emotional affected me quite as much as The Reluctant Dom. Books have made me cry before. But none have ever made me break down sobbing. And more than once at that!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Aestas wrote: "Here's a quote from Outlander to tempt you :)

*giggling* Yes, that is tempting! So sweet and romantic! But so is this-

"I'll top you tonight" - Dark Citadel

*swoon*

Aestas Book Blog LOL. yes it is. I really do have to read those soon.

message 40: by Taryn at My Secret Romance (last edited Feb 23, 2012 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Taryn at My Secret Romance That quote made me go weak in the knees when I read it! lol

Aestas Book Blog hahaha gotta love variety! I try to keep things fresh. So I'll switch between Paranormal Romance, Contemporary romance, BDSM romance, YA romance, and the very occasional Historical romance... I'm due for a BDSM one next so I think it'll have to be those ones.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Yup! I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes too much of a good thing can ruin it for me.

message 43: by Taryn at My Secret Romance (last edited Feb 23, 2012 11:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Taryn at My Secret Romance That series has public play in it- a lot. I know some people are bothered by it. I just ignored it because I'm not into the whole public play thing, but the story was so good that I just kept on going.

message 44: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Feb 23, 2012 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog Ya, I'm not a fan of that either but by now, I'm a pro at editing out elements of stories that I don't like. Provided that the main story and relationship is engaging/strong enough, I just let those elements I don't like blur into the background and I focus on the parts that I like :) And I've heard enough good about Shadowlands that I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love them

Taryn at My Secret Romance I'm the same way...I do hope you like them when you get to them. :)

Aestas Book Blog thanks - me too :)

message 47: by Natalie (new)

Natalie hmmm, i have heard so many good things about this, one but i am still not sure. is it good enough to buy in print or should i settle for the e-book?

message 48: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Apr 28, 2012 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aestas Book Blog Oh it's Sooooooo beautiful!!!! I have it in print as well. Thou you may end up staining the pages with tears. I was actually fine until about 75% through (only misty eyes till then) and the I SOBBED through the rest (like T&A sobbing). 100% full out, can't-see-the-page-hiccuping sobs. But it's sooooo worth it! It's not like some shocking ending or anything, its more that you know it's coming from the beginning but u don't know how hard it'lll hit you till the end it's really one of those beautiful books!!

message 49: by Natalie (new)

Natalie okey, thanks. i trust u on this and order it the next time on amazon :)

message 50: by Natalie (new)

Natalie damn it. the paperback is sold out on amzon.

« previous 1