Liu Zhen's Reviews > The Lively Art of Writing

bookshelves: 12th

Title: The Lively Art of Writing
Author: Lucile Vaughan Payne
Pages: 288
Publisher: Published March 1st 1969 by Signet/Mentor (first published 1965)
Isbn: 0451627121 (ISBN13: 9780451627124)

The Lively Art of Writing is the best “how-to-write” book I have ever come across after much researches online about how to write an essay. It is a 15 chapters guide to writing an essay. This book pinpoints the different techniques and approaches to a successful paper for the “untalented” few; for those who are willing to learn, and for those who need help in their writing. My brother actually offered his credit card for me to purchase this book online. It was a gift, and it means a lot to me now. When this book arrived, it was the greatest thing that could happened to me. It is the smallest and lightest copy of a book that I can easily stored in my jacket pocket. I read it wherever I go, on subways or when I am bored. I learned a lot about how to really writing an essay.

The first few chapters explains a well established opinion is, in fact, an essay. And an opinion forms a thesis, and thus expands into paragraphs and ends with a conclusion. This lovely book then ascribes back to the details on essential knowledge in making stronger arguments, more fluent sentences structures,beautiful writing styles, and the “what to” and “what nots" in writing and more. This book basically educates you anything you wish you can learn in a writing class.

The author, Lucile Vaugha Payne writes professionally. Her tone is comforting, and supportive. This has to do with her career, because she was a teacher in high school and college. Furthermore, “she has been a successful magazine editor, feature writer, newspaper reporter, drama critic, and author of widely anthologized short stories.” With her experiences, she is well qualified as a teacher, professor, and a writer. She understands where the students are coming from, and she reveals the secrets to the art of lively writing. Simply put, she is an amazing author and teacher.

In 9th grade, I missed my Writing Art’s class because I had an ESL class instead. So whenever someone in class mentions little details of what he or she learned from Nourok's writing art's class, I get confused. But with The Lively Art of Writing, I know exactly what my classmates are talking about every now and then when they recall a detail that they learned. For example, I remember someone drew a visual structure of an upside down triangle in explaining how to write a succinct introduction. Payne is able to illustrate the same knowledge with a clearer explanation,“The function of the introductory paragraph is simply to introduce the subject and come to the point.”(she underlines "come to the point" with an upside triangle on the page in the book). Through reading this book, I am able to draw connections to the writing lessons in my previous social studies, writing arts, and literature classes. It is amazing to acknowledge the amount of materials this little copy of book beholds, if not everything about writing arts in my three years of high school.

This book is great for Advanced Placement English students, it only polishes one’s writing with more tips. This is a book to enhance one’s writing, one can learn how to write without taking a writing art’s class, and without being the “talented” few. I learned so much about how to write an essay after reading this book. It is my honor to recommend this book to anyone who believes that he or she can write, and is willing to put efforts into improving his or her writing. The art of writing should begin here, with this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lively Art of Writing.