Page (One Book At A Time)'s Reviews > The Immortal Rules

1812013
Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from April 24 to 27, 2012

I've been trying to stay away from vampires. I kind of felt like it was over played, and I was willing to walk away. But, when I heard that they were going to be the subject of Julie Kagawa's newest novel, I jumped right back on board. You see, Kagawa has a knack for telling a story in a different manner. She breathes new life into it.

I was intrigued by this world the she's created. A virus basically wiped out the human population. The vampires were immune to this virus and came out of the dark. In exchange for protection from the rabid creatures in the wild, human agree to live in vampire cities. I found the hierarchy of the vampires and their cities to be fascinating. It turns out its a very intricate system. Only certain vampires have the power to rule. And due to the virus, only certain vampires can actually turn a vampire human (and not into a rapid).

Allison is barely living it seems in this. She takes great risks just to survive. She refuses to become a blood slave just to provide herself with a few extra comforts. But, I think this might have been her downfall. She trusts way to easily. She trusts that the band of people won't turn on each other. She trusts that there are few things worse than being a vampire. And she trusts that when the unthinkable happens that she can be different. Maybe it's because of all this that she really impressed me as a vampire.

In this story, vampires are hard to tell from human. But, their thirst for blood can consume them. We see Allie really struggle with it at times. But, she always proves she's better than that. She tolerates a lot of mental abuse for her creator, but I think she realizes that there is no better person to teach her how to survive. And maybe through this she can be a different kind of vampire.

What's difficult about this story is that there are no very different sections to it. First is Allie in the vampire city (including after she is turned). And there's the whole story when she roaming the wilderness. There she gets caught up with a rogue band of humans. They're looking for a sort of Eden...the answer to all their prayers. But, something (or someone) is looking for them. It's interesting because in the end you realize how connected this story really is. The leader of this group and Allie's creator have way more in common than you could ever realize.

An interestingly woven story. I will definitely be seeking out the next one.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

04/27/2012 page 485