Susan's Reviews > Murder at the Vicarage

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Dec 13, 11

Murder at the Vicarage is my favorite Agatha Christie book, and I am a huge Agatha Christie fan. I have read all her books and stories. Murder at the Vicarage is certainly not her most clever mystery and the reveal is not particurly surprising. However, the narrator of this book, Leonard Clement, Vicar of St Mary Mead and his much younger wife, Griselda, are so charming and funny that they make the story extremely enjoyable. One of the primary criticisms of Agatha Christie is that she does not flesh out her characters very much, but in Murder at the Vicarage, she makes most of the characters seem very real. I really enjoy reading Mr. Clements discriptions of the people in St Mary Mead, the situations the people get themselves involved in (including himself), and the village of St Mary Mead itself. This is also Miss Marple's first appearance, and Leonard Clement is not always sympathetic to Miss Marple or in fact to any of the village residents ("nasty old cat", is a phase used more than once). He often chastises himself and his wife for "unchristian" thoughts and actions, but he fully admits those actions and never comes off as a "paragon of virtue". He is a wonderful character and so is his wife. They are wonderful together and you end up really wishing that Miss Christie would have devoted more books to them. Don't get me wrong, I love Miss Marple. I just wish there were more stories that featured the Clements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder at the Vicarage.