Kyle Gunning's Reviews > Digital Fortress

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

Jan 24, 12

Read from December 13, 2011 to January 24, 2012

After reading Dan Browns Da Vinci Code and being completely immersed and engrossed into every chapter, I was a bit dissapointed reading Dan Browns Digital Fortress. It starts out when the NSA code breaking machine (called TRANSLTER) finds a new and complex code, named Digital Fortress, that it cannot break. Commander Trevor Strathmore calls in Susan Fletcher, their head cryptographer to help crack it. She discovers that it was written by Ensei Tankado, a former NSA employee who was displeased with the NSA invading the privacy of peoples lives. Tankado intends to auction the code's algorithm on his website and have his partner, "NDAKOTA", release it to the general public if he was to die. Pretty much holding the NSA hostage, the agency is determined to stop Digital Fortress from becoming a threat to national security. But what they don't know is Digital Fortress is not what it seems..
Being a fan of Dan Browns works and having an interest in computers, I thought Digital Fortress would be the match for me. Although, I found that it did not live up the the expectations I thought it would uphold. Unlike 'Da Vinci Code', Digital Fortress' plot was very predictable and weak. I felt the characters were very underdeveloped, and that the story could have been so much better had Brown put more effort into character development. On the brightside, I found some parts to be very thrilling and on edge, and it was also very apparent that Brown put a lot of effort into researching computer code and algorithms.
I cannot say that I recommend this book to many people, but it was not a horrible book. People who are fans of Browns work will be slightly dissapointed, but will find it tolerable. People who are also interested in Computers and computer code will find the various references to algorithms and special codes very intriguing, but anyone who isn't very tech savvy will find it very confusing.
Though Digital Fortress did not live up to my expectations, I will continue to read his novels as I know his others are better, this book was just a minor virus in the computer system.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Digital Fortress.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Kari Thanks Kyle.....I however loved the book, the plot was by no means his best, but still credit has to be given to the lead characters, particularly, David's, for someone who has no special training I was hooked.