Brandy's Reviews > The Porter Rockwell Chronicles: Volume 1

The Porter Rockwell Chronicles by Richard Lloyd Dewey

Jul 07, 08

bookshelves: historical-fiction, lds-stories
Recommended to Brandy by: My Dad
Recommended for: People who are interested in Church History but who hate to read
Read in June, 2008

I am giving this book 2 stars instead of 1 because this series got my dad to read, which is an amazing feat in and of itself and it got my dad to learn more about church history, another amazing feat. Unfortunately, that is the only positive things I can say about the book.

The history of Porter Rockwell could be really interesting. I really like following church history and would be interested in learning more about how Porter Rockwell played a part in all of it. This author was such a terrible writer that I wasn't able to read more than just the first book. I can't say enough times how bad I thought his writing was. I felt like I was reading a childs book. Very little description. Very basic sentences. Things like "then porter went to the river. He loved his boat. Him and his wife loved each other but had their differences." Seriously, you just couldn't get much more out of him than that.

I did finish the first book. I will not be reading the others in the series. I also didn't like that he didn't document what was fact and what was fiction like the author of "The Work and Glory" so I had a hard time believing any of the book because I didn't know if it was true or not. All in all, this was a very disappointing read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Porter Rockwell Chronicles.