Anna's Reviews > Unraveled

Unraveled by Courtney Milan

Dec 17, 11

Recommended for: Fans of historical romance
Read from December 15 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Fantastic. The best of the Turner brothers trilogy.

Smite Turner is easily the most fascinating Turner brother, and in his story, we get to learn exactly what happened to him as a child while in the custody of his insane mother, then on the streets of Bristol as an orphan with his brother Mark, and as a student at Eton after Mark and Smite have been rescued from the streets by their eldest brother Ash.

As an adult, Smite (who prefers to be known only as Turner) is employed as a magistrate in the city of Bristol. He meets Miranda Darling in his court. She is there pretending to be a witness to a crime in order to keep a young boy out of jail. This is not of her own volition: she is beholden to a shadowy figure in the poor part of the city know as The Patron. We don't know exactly why Miranda must do The Patron's bidding, but it does become clear later in the book.

Smite soon finds himself attracted to Miranda, quite out of the ordinary for him. Smite does not like to be touched, and does not like to be with people. But he cannot resist the pull of her company and soon suggests that she agree to be set up as his mistress.

Many mysteries become clear in this book--and we learn much about characters from the previous 2 books. A quite satisfying end to the trilogy, although I regret it has come to an end!

Highly recommended.

Anxiously awaiting the next publication of Ms. Milan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unraveled.