Terry's Reviews > Velvet Ball and the Broken Fairy

Velvet Ball and the Broken Fairy by Patricia Puddle

119550
Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: favorite-author, favorites, funny, kids-of-all-ages
Read on October 01, 2011, read count: 1 - will read again

Ms. Puddle, you never cease to amaze me!
I don't think I've ever read two books in a row by the same author that I've enjoyed this much until now!
I loved Star-Crossed Rascals and absolutely adored Polly and Gertie. I didn't think it possible to like any other characters as much as I did those two.
That is, until I met Velvet Ball and Roseberry, the Fairy of Crabtree Forest. Once again, I found myself falling in love with the main characters, Velvet our young heroine, and Roseberry our unlikely heroine.

Velvet Ball is a bright, intelligent and precocious 9 year old girl who suffers with a disease called Alopecia Areata. This condition has left Velvet bald, with no body hair, and an obvious target for bullies. This wonderful little girl is nobody's victim however, and she is no pushover. Roseberry IS the fairy your mother warned you about. She's sassy times ten, a tad bit rude, yet a bundle of laughs. The way Ms. Puddle handles the relationship between these two is masterful; the dialogue smoothly bounces back and forth as expertly as a tennis ball at a Wimbleton match.

The story moves consistently along at a nice speed, with just the right amount of excitement, action and humor. (Might I add well placed, well-timed humor that is actually funny, not cheesy or dumbed down). Velvet rescues Roseberry, after the bullies have thrown her into a tree. She takes her home where she'll be safe, but the bullies kidnap Roseberry out of Velvet's room. (My stomach actually dropped at this part; the talented Ms. Puddle knows how to write!). Velvet is once again going to bravely rescue the fairy from the bullies...

I highly recommend Patricia Puddles books to everyone. This is one author, whom I'm thankful to have been introduced to. Her books have never failed to cheer me up and make me laugh. I'll even go as far as to say they're therapeutic.
My autistic son loves them also. He's become a big fan. We plan on buying/owning every book she writes. I'll be keeping her books on my favorites shelf for years to come, where they will be shared with my grandchildren.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the author for the purposes of review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Velvet Ball and the Broken Fairy.