Zoe's Reviews > The Friday Night Knitting Club

1909872
Dec 16, 11

bookshelves: fiction-lit, knitting
Read from December 13 to 15, 2011

Just because I didn't like this book didn't mean it has no value, it just wasn't MY cup on tea.

This was one of the few books I had a tough time finishing. I love the idea of en ensemble cast, and being a knitter, loved that the factor that linked this group of people was a knitting group. What annoyed me was that there were very few likable characters, and the main character (Georgia Walker) is frankly, feeling pretty sorry for herself. The book isn't written in her point of view, but even the narrative seems to have this overall "Oh, poor Georgia!" attitude. Throughout the book, things get better and then worse for Georgia, a single mother who is also a yarn shop owner and designer, but the final point of the book seems to be "Isn't this woman amazing?". I'm not sure I could take this much focusing on one person and their strengths and weaknesses even if I was reading about Mother Theresa!

My other big issue with this book - the suddenly unhappy ending. It seemed tossed in there simply as a device - was the author thinking 'uh-oh - I have to wrap up this book, and things are looking pretty happy - I wouldn't want someone to confuse this with a romance or women's fiction. If I give it an unhappy ending, it will become LITERATURE.' The sad fact was, there was a suddenness to the ending that made it seem...pointless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Friday Night Knitting Club.