Kassiah's Reviews > The Fine Art of Truth or Dare

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: high-school, ya, do-not-waste-your-time, pub-2012
Read on February 24, 2012

1-1/2 stars

So...what to say about this book? Let's start with this: Whoever was in charge of writing the summary for The Fine Art of Truth or Dare should be fired. Or at least, his/her work should have to be checked by someone who actually read the book first. Because this:
Pretty in Pink meets Anna and the French Kiss in this charming romantic comedy.
is not this book.

There's no swoony romance that has you on the edge of your seat, waiting for them to finally realize they're meant to be together. There's no Anna. There's no Andie. There's no Blaine. There's no Duckie. And there sure as hell is no Étienne. (although, Alex has an accent, THAT IS NOT ENOUGH)

Ella attends a prestigious private school, and is totally in love with
Edward Willing, an artist who has been dead for decades. She studies his history and art and has a bust of him in her room that she has full conversations with. Let's totally overlook the fact that ELLA is in love with EDWARD for a minute. Or that Edward's dead. Or that he died in 1918 or something like that. Were there no other names for this girl to use? Does everything have to have something to do with Twilight? Anyway, I digress.

Ella's family was cool. Her BFF, Frankie, was awesome. I mean, without him, I'd give this book half a star. I felt like I knew him; we got a glimpse of his character and what makes him who he is. I didn't feel that with Ella. I didn't feel that with Alex (who btw--wtmf?!? What was wrong with that boy?) I didn't understand what the hell Edward Willing had to do with this story.

Really.

Overall, I can't even tell you what the point of this book was. This was one of my most anticipated books for 2012, and I'm so sad that I didn't like it. I liked Daniel. I loved Frankie. I even came to like Edward Willing (a little). But that just isn't enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fine Art of Truth or Dare.

02/24/2012
9.0% "I think I might be really confused."
02/24/2012
29.0% "Um...I think I missed something."
02/24/2012
30.0% "I wonder if she actually thought he was going to tell her what she would find there. 0.o"
02/24/2012
37.0% ""I might not have found Mr. Right, but I never, ever go for Mr. What-are-you-thinking.""
02/24/2012
39.0% "Is she actually questioning a talking seagull or a dolphin guide from an old folk tale? She has full conversations with a statue!!" 1 comment
02/24/2012
47.0% "Date? Doesn't this boy have a girlfriend?"
100.0% "thank rob I'm finally finished with this book!" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katinki (new)

Katinki Ella and Edward? Are you for real???

Wait, is Edward like a ghost? Does Ella wind up with him somehow???

omg.

Kassiah Edward is...idek what he is to tell you the truth. He's...yeah.

No, she doesn't. Because he's dead. Like actually not alive. At all.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Seriously? Ella is in love with a very dead Edward? Bwahahahaha. I think I'll skip this one.

Lori (Ficwishes) I did not even get through 3 chapters. I was very sad because I had such I high hopes.

message 5: by Mary Catherine (new)

Mary Catherine Uh. The fact that what I read in their description doesn't match what YOU said in your review AT ALL, I'm going to go ahead and NOT read this.

Kassiah yeah, don't read it, really. you want to keep your hair!

Rochelle whoah. i felt the opposite of you. :/

message 8: by Kitlina (new)

Kitlina I keep hearing about Pretty in Pink but I didn't find it on Goodreads. could you send me a link please

message 9: by Cece (new) - rated it 1 star

Cece I couldn't finish the book because Her obession with Edward was to werid .I really wanted to love this book but oh well