Judy's Reviews > Camilla

Camilla by Madeleine L'Engle

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: 20th-century-fiction, books-from-1951, young-adult
Recommended for: introspective female teens
Read from December 13 to 15, 2011, read count: 1

This was my least liked book by Madeleine L'Engle. She began writing romances suitable for a young adult audience and Camilla is one of those; another tale about a teenage girl having trouble with her parents. Camilla lives with these parents in an apartment in New York City. She loves them both though her father is a distant, undemonstrative sort and her mother is childlike.

When Camilla discovers her mother kissing another man right in their living room, she falls into confusion. She has to learn that her parents are people too who have their own troubles and are not perfect. Her best friend and an older boy help her through and she comes out older, sadder, and wiser.

The weaknesses here are a slow moving plot and a bit of a preachy tone about what is important in life. I had not found those weaknesses in any of L'Engle's other early novels.

In any case, I have now read most of those early novels. When I get to 1960 in My Big Fat Reading Project (see the Writing section of my profile), I will be reading the books that made her famous, beginning with A Wrinkle in Time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Camilla.

12/15/2011 page 288
100.0% "Not one of her best."