John Alsdorf's Reviews > Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies

Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies by Marilyn Chandler McEntyre

Mar 15, 12

Read from December 13, 2011 to March 14, 2012

I'm giving it five stars early on in my progress through the book.
A couple of quotes:
"So our task as stewards of the word begins and ends in love. Loving language means cherishing it for its beauty, precision, power to enhance understanding, power to name, power to heal. And it means using words as instruments of love." (Location 202 in Kindle; sorry, no page numbers in this text.)
"...sometime words become objects of interest in themselves. Suddenly we notice them. We see and hear them the way poets do, as having vitality and delightfulness independent of their utility. Language may suddenly appear not as a closed system where meaning is simply constructed or a drably utilitarian system of reference, but as a dance--words at play--words not just meaning or reporting or chronicling or marching in syntactic formation, but performing themselves, sounding, echoing, evoking ripples of association and feeling, moving in curious sidelong figures rather than left to right in orderly lines." (Location231)

And now that I've finished, I leave it at five stars. Well worth the time. In fact, I plan to re-read with Katherine, reading out loud and talking about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies.

12/13/2011 page 50