Linda's Reviews > The Descendants

The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings

Dec 13, 2011

Read in December, 2011

The basis for the movie, this book is almost as good to read as it is to see. Much of the dialogue is taken straight from the book. As always, there are actions in the book that are not used in the screenplay. A couple of these really struck me.

One is the banana game. I'm not going to tell you what it is; you're going to have to read it for yourself. This is something my dad would do.

The other one is the playing with names. This is something I do all the time. Instead of "man o' war," use "minor war." (I would have used "manor war.") Quite a few people do not appreciate the effort that goes into this "game." My favorite made-up resemblence word (one I created) is "superfragilecalaliliesexpediteyourdoses." Try it yourself; it's really fun!

Anyhow, the book was good for other parts as well as these two. But these really brought the story to life for me and made the characters all seem more human and relatable.

Even if you have seen the movie, it's worthwhile to read the book. So many little things touch your heart unexpectedly.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Descendants.