Jo's Reviews > How to Make a Golem and Terrify People

How to Make a Golem and Terrify People by Alette J. Willis

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: for-review, 2012, kiddlywinks, its-a-kind-of-magic, you-got-a-friend-in-me, e
Read from January 05 to 06, 2012

"It’s easier to believe in things after dark."

I seem to say this a lot but this book was not what I was expecting.
Maybe I should just start reading synopses and stop throwing myself into books, a literary bull in a library.
Or something along those lines.

This book was an incredibly sweet, well-written story about a mouse girl who finds a way to stand up to bullies and weird boys with glasses and get muddy at the same time.
It’s also about facing your fears, friendship and believing in yourself told with lots of humour and lovely dialogue.
I could have done with a bit more action, and perhaps some more mild peril, in some of the chapters and I found myself being sceptical towards the end. There was one point that had me thinking “That would never happen.”
And before you say “What bit was that? The bit where three Scottish children, cute as buttons, made and then tamed a golem out of mud? Was that the part that you thought would never happen?”
Nope… I was on board with all that.
There was another bit that had me frowning a bit.

I still enjoyed it though.
Edda was just lovely and Lucy was brilliant.
Not completely decided on Euan yet though.

Also, as a further note: It appears that a golem, a creature I am not very familiar with, is similar to a boggart.
So, if you find yourself faced with one you grab a bunny and tickle its feet with their fluffy tails.
Or laugh at it.
Bunnies are cuter though… and it would give you a valid excuse to carry them around in your handbag.

I received a copy of this book from the publishers.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Make a Golem and Terrify People.

15.0% ""He just stared at me. The boy had the emotional range of a toaster." :)"

message 1: by karen (new)

karen i love that cover!

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo It's gorgeous, isn't it?
I kind of wish this book had been a graphic novel. :-D

message 3: by karen (new)

karen this is my problem - i always think of covers,. and how they will look on my table at work. i would put this book next to

[image error]

and they would have a good time hanging out.

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo That Jane Eyre one. :-O

I need to stop buying multiple copies of a book because the cover is pretty.

message 5: by karen (new)

karen i just got two copies of wuthering heights for christmas, because they were pretty. now i have 6.

message 6: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have three copies of The Age of Innocence for that same reason.

And I'm not even sorry.

message 7: by karen (new)

karen i don't even want to talk about my jonathan carroll situation. i love his covers so much, i collect them in different languages. i have over 150 of his books - most of which i will never be able to read...