Jo's Reviews > How to Make a Golem

How to Make a Golem by Alette J. Willis

Jan 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: for-review, 2012, kiddlywinks, its-a-kind-of-magic, you-got-a-friend-in-me, e
Read from January 05 to 06, 2012

"It’s easier to believe in things after dark."

I seem to say this a lot but this book was not what I was expecting.
Maybe I should just start reading synopses and stop throwing myself into books like...um, a literary bull in a library.
Or something along those lines.

This book was an incredibly sweet, well-written story about a mouse girl who finds a way to stand up to bullies and weird boys with glasses and get muddy at the same time.
It’s also about facing your fears, friendship and believing in yourself told with lots of humour and lovely dialogue.
I could have done with a bit more action, and perhaps some more mild peril, in some of the chapters and I found myself being sceptical towards the end. There was one point that had me thinking “That would never happen.”
And before you say “What bit was that? The bit where three Scottish children, cute as buttons, made and then tamed a golem out of mud? Was that the part that you thought would never happen?”
Nope… I was on board with all that.
There was another bit that had me frowning a bit.

I still enjoyed it though.
Edda was just lovely and Lucy was brilliant.
Not completely decided on Euan yet though.

Also, as a further note: It appears that a golem, a creature I am not very familiar with, is similar to a boggart.
So, if you find yourself faced with one you grab a bunny and tickle its feet with their fluffy tails.
Or laugh at it.
Bunnies are cuter though… and it would give you a valid excuse to carry them around in your handbag.

I received a copy of this book from the publishers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Make a Golem.

01/05/2012
15.0% ""He just stared at me. The boy had the emotional range of a toaster." :)"

message 1: by karen (new)

karen i love that cover!

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo It's gorgeous, isn't it?
I kind of wish this book had been a graphic novel. :-D

message 3: by karen (new)

karen this is my problem - i always think of covers,. and how they will look on my table at work. i would put this book next to

[image error]

and

and they would have a good time hanging out.

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo That Jane Eyre one. :-O

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME KAREN?! WHYYYY?
I need to stop buying multiple copies of a book because the cover is pretty.

message 5: by karen (new)

karen i just got two copies of wuthering heights for christmas, because they were pretty. now i have 6.

shame.

message 6: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo LOVE.

I have three copies of The Age of Innocence for that same reason.

And I'm not even sorry.

message 7: by karen (new)

karen i don't even want to talk about my jonathan carroll situation. i love his covers so much, i collect them in different languages. i have over 150 of his books - most of which i will never be able to read...

message 8: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Pick the language closest to one you know and start reading! If you've already read it in English you'll probably get most of it.

message 9: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel Jo wrote: "LOVE.

I have three copies of The Age of Innocence for that same reason.

And I'm not even sorry.
:)"

I do not have more than one copy of The Man Who Was Thursday for that reason, but only because I suspect that if I started buying more it would be a while before I could stop...

I do actually have three pretty-covered copies of The Hobbit, two in languages I can't read, but that just sort of happened somehow.

[I may not be able to really read it, but Tolkien does sound good in Latin, I must say...]

message 10: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam I only have one copy of TMWWT because I keep forcing it on my friends. Actually I may be lying -- I think it's also included in a collected Chesterton volume I have.

Which Hobbits do you have? I have only this one, but with yellow in place of the green and the white

and this paperback one that came with the matching trilogy.

Oh, and maybe somewhere the graphic novel, which I got for my little brother to look at while I read him the book. I may have given that to his kids, though.

message 11: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel Yellow in place of the green AND the white? Haven't seen that one...

My copy is the a 1991 Grafton, which GR for some reason doesn't have, though it seems to be equivalent to the 1993 Harper Collins. The cover is of Howe's Smaug, with golden runic borders: as seen on Howe's site. It's not as romantic as that wonderful Tolkien-original artwork you have, but I like it!

I'm the custodian, though not technically owner, of a 1991 Russian hardback, which I think is the hardback equivalent of this edition. They replace Tolkien's map, which is of course heresy, but replace it with a really great one in a Russian fairytale art style, much more what you'd expect from a "fantasy" novel if you're very, very oldschool (the hero starts from the bottom of the map and overcomes the obstacles (it's synoptic, not to scale) to reach the mountain at the top of the map. It's pretty. Pity I don't read Russian.

I also own a 2012 Latin hardback, with Smaug depicted through the medium of tesserae. It incorporates Latin puns, employs different verse forms depending on the solemnity of the original poetry (classical quantitative verse forms for the serious stuff and the riddles, but mediaeval rhythmic verse for the lighter songs*), and helpfully includes a glossary of rare words, in case you don't instantly recognise 'effractarius' (burglar), 'minurritio' (the twittering of birds), or 'subucula' (waistcoat)...

in foramine terrae habitabat hobbitus: nec foedum, sordidum madidumque foramen, nec extremis lumbricorum atque odore caenoso impletum, nec etiam foramen aridum, inane, harenosum, in quo nihil erat ad considendum aut edendum aptum; immo foramen-hobbitum, ergo commodum...

Anyway, it's actually a really nice edition. Original illustrations, renamed into latin in an appropriate font, and the original maps, with proper red highlighting as originally intended, again translated into Latin. [Vastitas Smaugis, "Ad occidentem magna Mirksilua iacet, illic sunt Araneae", Flumen Fluens, Mons Solus, "Hic in antiquis diebus fuit Thrainus Rex sub Monte", etc]. Now I just need to learn Latin (I know enough to get the gist where I can remember the English translation, but little more than that...)

Oh, and the two most famous chapters are "Convivium Inopinatum" and... "Aenigmata In Tenebris"...

*(view spoiler)