Hazel West's Reviews > Throne of Jade

Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik

Dec 19, 11

Read from December 13 to 19, 2011

Again, Naomi Novik does an amazing job. I'm definitely hooked on this series now. The characters are all very likable, the story believable despite being fantasy, and the descriptions of the times they were in China were lovely and made you feel as if you were really there. The "dogfights" between the dragons were well written to a point where I could picture every move (this coming from someone who has written aerial combat scenes before, but with Nuiports and Fokkers, not with dragons!) And not to mention the fact that I laughed imagining the poor dragons suffering from the common cold ;) I am definitely looking forward to the rest of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Jade.

12/13/2011 page 42
show 10 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mara This series is classified as fantasy? How odd. I'm not sure what other genre one would thrust it into, though, I guess, because it's not entirely historical fiction . . . *shrug* When you get to "Empire of Ivory," you will have to let me know how it is, because I haven't read that one yet.

Hazel West That's how it's classed both at the library and the books stores, though personally, I would have just put it as general. Even alternate historys (which is what I would class this as) are put there, but oh well. I still think they need a proper section for historical fiction. I'll definitely tell you how I like it, but I haven't gotten "Black Powder War" from the library yet. I ordered it a few days ago, but they are so slow :P

Mara Yeah, I would classify it as general fiction, or alternate-history. But they also classify the Myst books as fantasy, and they aren't. *laughs* Yes, libraries are slow. I have a bunch of new books on hold, and it's been a good two months, and they still haven't gotten them into their system. *roll eyes*

Hazel West Yes, I always try to request things and they're like, "no thank you, we don't want to put this into our system" :P And I can't talk to anyone because all the librarians I used to know left because they couldn't stand working there anymore. It's bloody sad.

Mara You'll have to establish a friendship with the new ones, I suppose. Surprisingly, they usually order what I request, but it just takes FOREVER for them to actually get it cataloged and ready to be sent to patrons.

Hazel West Well, there's still a couple of people I know who have always helped me, but all the new people seem unhelpful and annoyed when you ask them anything. This is at my tiny library though. The big one down-town has lovely people who will actually take you to what you are looking for instead of giving you incomprehensible directions. If I loved closer I would go there all the time.

Mara I find that surprising, actually, that the librarians at the bigger library are more accommodating! It's probably because of where I live, but the librarians at the bigger libraries in our branch are less inclined to do their job, and the small-town librarians are really nice.

Hazel West Well, like I said, mine used to be before they all went to computers :P Now, the librarians will not even check you out themselves and if you ask them to help you look up something, they show you how to do it on the computer. There hasn't been a card catalogue there for years. The big library is more old-fashioned still. Plus they even have a coffee shop there. Go figure!

Mara Wow, that's . . . That is, in fact, a shirking of one's job. My local library has computers and self-checkouts, but the librarians still get up and show you where to find something, and help you check out, too. I WISH we had a card catalogue . . . But I suppose I'll just have to install one into my private library (I certainly own enough books for it). The big, huge library in the city has coffee shops and, of all things, gift stands, but it isn't a very warm library. It's all steel and glass and concrete - very modern. If one was doing research, it would be a splendid place to go, but it lacks all the warmth a library needs.

Hazel West I would love to make a card catalogue for my personal library as well. I have many old books that I always forget to look at. I usually go the the down-town library to do my research. Their history section is amazing and it has it's own room so it's QUIET there with desks and all that. Our small library is always full of little kids, who actually aren't as noisy as the adults on cell phones X(, and they put in a gaming system. It's so loud on the weekends that I never go there then because you can't think. And you can never find anything in the history section because they mix things up so much that it's incomprehensible. I still haven't figured out a method to their madness. It's a seriously deplorable position. I actually wrote an essay on it for school several years ago. I'll have to post it on my blog sometime. It was a pretty funny essay, though, sadly, all true.

message 11: by Mara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mara I have a template for catalogueing cards, but I have discovered that, much to my severe embarrassment, I actually don't know what all is put onto a catalogue card. Do you know? Clearly, the title and author, but what else? *laughs* How true it is that adults on cellphones are louder than the kiddies! ;)

Oh my; it sounds as if that library is in need of someone with obsessive organization skills, a tendency to be a bit bossy, and who loves to organize and straighten up books! Hey! I just thought of a wonderful new career option: I could hire myself out to go and straighten up messy libraries - public and private ones! ;D

Hazel West Hmm, I'm not sure either, as I haven't seen one since I was a kid :P I think there's a way to find the right information you need too, with research books. I guess it's something we'll have to look into further :)

That would be a really fun job, I'm always rearranging my home library. I was actually going to volunteer at my public library, but the only options they had open at the time was being an event planner and overseer? For teen junk, no less. It didn't even have anything to do with the library??? Seriously, I don't know what they were thinking.