Lauren Acton's Reviews > Charmed Thirds

Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty

Dec 13, 11

Read in December, 2011

This book covers Jessica Darling's college years and she narrates her (mis)adventures in the same caustically funny voice. McCafferty continues to use the concept of a journal and letters to tell Jessica's story and while I found that it is very true to life that months can sometimes go by without any journal writing, sometimes that left the reader out of the loop. Jessica tends to withdraw from people who are important in her life when she's processing big events, but she also sometimes withdraws from herself too, so the reader only finds out something important happened when Jessica has finally dealt with it enough to write about it. I thought this was realistic, but also happened quite often in this installment of the series and made me distrust her somewhat as a narrator.
A lot happens in the four years that this book covers, and while the overall tone is cynical and a little depressing, because Jessica is cynical and a little depressed throughout, the reemergence of Hope at the end signals small h hope for Jessica's future.

P.S. god,Ii hate these covers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charmed Thirds.