Algernon's Reviews > The Kingdom of Gods

The Kingdom of Gods by N.K. Jemisin

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in December, 2011

more like a [7/10] but I really enjoyed the first two books in the Inheritance series, so it is an easy decision to mark up my review.

One of the things I love about this series is how it manages to reinvent itself with each new book, add to the foundations set before, try to find a new angle in the form of a new narrator and a jump in the timeline, and explore the implications of the magical rules established.

This third volume is the most ambitious so far, and this is reflected both in the number of pages and in the intricacy of the plot. I found the previous stories rather straightforward, for all their originality and emotional intensity. Sieh is a more complex protagonist - full of contradictions and impulsive behaviour for all his aeons of experience. The plot here also weaves more than one major threads: The Arameri legacy, Sieh's voyage of self discovery, world stage politics, the godlings place in the new world order, and finally the mystery part of a secret adversary. It all becomes clear in the end, a bit contrived perhaps and a bit longwinded, but ultimately satisfying.

The relationship and interdependence between humans and gods is a recurring themes in the series. Love in its many manifestations (filial, physical, transcendental) is often seen by the author as the prime mover in the characters life. In this the series could be considered romance, but I think for me the part that I will remember ten years from now will be the cosmology and the way it was made a part of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of Gods.