Laurel's Reviews > The Wedding Book: The Big Book for Your Big Day

The Wedding Book by Mindy Weiss

Nov 08, 08

bookshelves: set-aside-for-now, to-read

I hope that by borrowing this book, I will take a quiz to find out what kind of a wedding I want, and it will tell me exactly how to create it, without spending any money.

So far the quiz tells me that I am a "novice."

I'm not reading this anymore because it just stresses me out!
I have to think of one thing at once, and Mindy makes me want to create invitations and try on dresses before I even know where the hell the wedding is going to take place. Can I just do the creative things and let someone else do all the logistics, please? The answer to that is YES, if I had a shitton of money. Screw you, Mindy!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wedding Book.

message 1: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Nehme so i guess you're getting married? i figured it was coming. congratulations!

message 2: by Laurel (new) - added it

Laurel weddings cost a lot. we'll see!

message 3: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Nehme its pretty cheap if you just go to a JP. Fridays are cheaper than Saturdays.

message 4: by Shelly (new)

Shelly I think being a novice is a good thing in this instance.

message 5: by Laurel (new) - added it

Laurel I think you're right. Though having three or four weddings under my belt would be helpful right about now...at least I would have a dress already!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I'll help you any way I can!!!!!!! I'm unemployed!

And I'm dead serious. Do you have a date picked out? Or a tentative one, at least? Let's start there.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Also, I have a friend who plans green weddings. She lives in NC with me. (Well, not WITH me. But a couple neighborhoods over...) She can help, but you'd have to pay her. She's cheap!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Shhhhh, don't tell anyone I'm logged on to GoodReads. It's a secret.

message 9: by Laurel (new) - added it

Laurel (pretend I'm whispering right now):

We're planning on October/early November of next year. My aunt is helping me by going to locations with us, making phone calls, etc, however, I am discovering that I am kind of a control freak and it's difficult to just let someone do stuff for you....

Thanks for the offer! Maybe I will have you help me research different things (when I know what they are) later on!

What's a green wedding exactly?

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Organic, sustainable, reduced-reused-recycled, etc...

Lemme see if I can find her website.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda https://www.floristsreview.com/main/m...

The florist she used for her wedding. Rec'd an award or something.... Anyway there are some pictures of Dawn & Justin's wedding here.

Here's Dawn's website. I don't know why she doesn't have pictures up. Silly. They did VERY cool stuff @ their wedding! For example, they had a big picnic instead of a formal sit down dinner. The wedding party wasn't even wearing formal clothes. Still dresses and stuff, but nothing that would get ruined by an outdoor wedding. Also, their place cards (I think it was place cards) were done using fresh pears and garland instead of a stupid plastic place card holder.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda You can force people to do things for you as wedding gifts. They'll fuck up, though. But it'll be free! :)

I'm logging off now. You'll do great, Laurel!!!!!!

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie My wedding advice? Just buckle down and make the big decisions, and try not to take it too seriously. It's NOT the most important day of your life (well, it can be, but it's not dependent upon which cake you pick). Just pick, and then try to enjoy the day for what it is rather than what you're wearing!

But I'm sure you know that already, Laurel. It just seems like today there is so much emphasis on your wedding being the perfect day depending on how much money you spend and on what.

It's really about you and the person that you're marrying. The other stuff is just extras. Don't let the society-imposed stress of what you should or shouldn't be buying or choosing stress you out so much that you can't enjoy your wedding when it happens.

message 14: by Laurel (new) - added it

Laurel Uh oh, don't tell anyone Amanda was on here, Val. It's a secret!

Thanks for the advice. I never even thought I would get married, so this wedding thing is no big deal in terms of having an image of how I've wanted it to be all my life. I think I am most excited about having everyone I know and love in the same place, sharing a fun night with good food, drinks, and a lot of dancing. You're right, all the other stuff is just extras. I do sort of want the fancy dress, though...

message 15: by Hallie (new)

Hallie I could cater as your wedding present.
You would have to pay for the ingredients, hire someone to help me and some waiters (or not, depending on how you want it to go) and buy a wedding cake, but I could do the rest. Think about it.

message 16: by Laurel (new) - added it