Nicole's Reviews > CivilWarLand in Bad Decline

CivilWarLand in Bad Decline by George Saunders

Jun 16, 08

out-there, surreal, touching...loved it. what really made me want to read the book was this answer he gave in an interview, regarding his vision and why he writes what he writes:

"...I think at the very last minute of the world, after we've global-warmed ourselves, and it's 400 degrees and only the elite can live in these little refrigerators with plasma TVs, the people who are burning to death outside are gonna kind of be reaching for the hand of the person next to them or having a memory of childhood or finding some way of knowing pleasure in that. So I think in a way it's sort of a hopeful vision."

when i met him after a reading, he told me that if he had known at my age how long it was going to take for him to make it, he doesn't think he could have done it. then, seeing the horror on my face, he said, "but for you, maybe it will be next year." the hope! like he says, "it lights you up a little bit."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read CivilWarLand in Bad Decline.