Alison's Reviews > Bridge of Scarlet Leaves

Bridge of Scarlet Leaves by Kristina McMorris

Jan 08, 13

Read in December, 2011

Beautifully written, BRIDGE OF SCARLET LEAVES is not to be missed!

As an avid reader of World War II fiction, I had been searching for stories from the Japanese-American point of view. I am ashamed to admit that, until a few years ago, I had no idea there had been internment camps in the United States during the war. I recently read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, but it left me wanting more. Luckily, author Kristina McMorris came into my world.

Even though I had a few months before I was scheduled to post my review for BRIDGE, I picked up the book with the intent of reading just the first few pages, to give me an idea of the feel of the book. Two days later, on December 7th actually, I was sad to be turning the last page. My timing could not have been better, though, since I spent the rest of the day watching documentaries on the History Channel about my favorite literary period in history, as well as the greatest turning point in our nation's history.

The writing was beautiful, and the settings were exquisitely vivid, but it was the characters that left me breathless. The characters grabbed me by the heart and wouldn't let go. They were rich and complex, and I loved them all - even the unlikeable ones!

I have a feeling this book is going to make it onto my Top Ten list for 2012. I'm already finding myself talking about this book every chance I get. If you love historical fiction, romance, women's fiction, or literary fiction, grab a copy for yourself and a copy to pass around your book club.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge of Scarlet Leaves.