Dave's Reviews > Carter Finally Gets It

Dec 13, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: ya
Read in December, 2011

Carter has ADD. Let's get that out of the way. The running interior monologue is a 300 page testament to this fact. If I wrote my autobiography in the style of this book, it would read something like this: I was a kid. Private school. Then I went to Junior High. I LOVE baseball. High school was cool, sort of. Explosions in chemistry! College. Drinking. Fraternity. City living. Met someone and got married. Holy cow, a kid! Another one! I teach.

Alas, it was like reading in a car going 100 mph while sticking your head out the window. One looooooooooooooooong climactic apex. Needless to say, it was very tiring at times. But I will say this, author Brent Crawford crawls inside the head of a fourteen year old boy and BECOMES the hamster driving that wheel. The neuroses of an adolescent ring true in Carter's hijinks. Anxiety about girls, indifference towards schoolwork, nicknames and jocular behavior with his knucklehead buddies, these are experiences of the rites of passage many teenage boys endure. I can see this book being a hit with that crowd.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carter Finally Gets It.