Samantha's Reviews > Glimmerglass

Glimmerglass by Jenna Black

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: faeries, fantasy-lands, girly, paranormal, romance, teen-read, reviewed
Read on December 13, 2011, read count: 1

What can I say about this book?

Let's start with the cover! I like the pink and the silver polka dots. The two girls are kinda iffy, considering that when I first picked it up I thought it might be 'questionable', but after the reading the back I was reassured of its innocence. So I picked it up and brought it home and the cover is pretty.

Moving on, I enjoyed the story. It is not the best book I've read, but still it was good. ..Or maybe I should say Temporarily Adequate. I hope I can get a better grip in the second installment. I enjoyed the basic premise and I can definitely see where Dana is coming from, however something didn't click for me and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what. I guess this book just didn't live me satisfied. The romance was there, but I'm not exactly getting a triangle just yet. Keane is barely existent as of right now, and with each passing minute Ethan is redeeming himself, so I'm still unsure with that aspect (who knows? maybe it'll make sense in the next book.

I felt like the entire time, Dana was just running away from everything. She did eventually try to take initiative, but it blew up in her face. I typically like heroines who take control from the start, which she tried. I will give her that, she really did try. I was able to 'get into' the book from the beginning, but I didn't feel driven to finish. Yes, I wanted to find out what happened next but it was kind of a slow chill non-driving feeling. I was just curious to see how much of a hole she got into and if she would EVER get out of it. Which.....didn't happen, considering she is basically where she started before she tried to run away from her dad's house.

Reviewing the guys:
Keane---I didn't really get him. he was just randomly tossed in and kinda left undeveloped. maybe we're supposed to wait to get to know him, but at this point I'm not even sure he's a good rival for Ethan.

Ethan---I can see how this would work in the romantic aspect. Joining two families seems like a good political move. Ethan is sweet (when he's not lying) and he does genuinely care for Dana~otherwise he wouldn't have jumped into the moat, plain & simple. Ethan was pretty well developed, and even when he was kind of a jerk, he paid for it.

Other stuff:

Kimber---I really liked Kimber. She was a well-written character. She had multiple layers that were gently peeled off, not just ripped prematurely. She is a genuine character that I found I really cared for. She makes a good friend for Dana.

OVERALL:::

I did like this book, but I was left with a lot of open ties. Hopefully book 2 will answer them and leave me feeling satisfied. Until then!! =)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glimmerglass.