Damon's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Jan 13, 13

Read from December 13, 2011 to January 13, 2013

If I ever find myself in an alternate reality, I hope it's one where something actually happens, unlike the one in this book. 1000 pages of no one doing anything makes for a tough read - I don't know if I can finish this.

Second time in - going a bit better this time. We'll see if that will carry me to the finish line...

Alright. The pause was apparently just the thing needed to get through this. I liked it much better on the second attempt. Not my favorite Murakami by any means, but once the story picks up and something starts to happen, it's pretty good.

What is kind of surprising is that you can read 100 pages of a book and still, by the end, not really like or care about the characters all that much. I definitely wanted to see how the story turned out, but I wasn't really pulling for any specific outcome or hoping that things would turn out well or badly for any specific characters. There was a certain distance to the way they were handled in the book which fit oddly against the very intimate and detailed examination of their thoughts and actions - another thing that makes this book strange and a bit offputting.

Also, for a book that goes on this long, there were a surprising number of plot points that were raised but never fully addressed or wrapped up. I'm okay with something happening that's meant to just say "this weird thing happened," but some of them seemed like they were going to have an impact on the events of the story, or resonate in a particular way with what winds up happening, and then they didn't (or I missed the connections if they did).

So, okay, but don't go into this one idly, and don't necessarily expect an overwhelming feeling of satisfaction when you finish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.