Lisa's Reviews > Assassination Vacation

Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell

Jul 14, 08

Read in July, 2008

Great book! I wish that all of history could be taught like this. We'd have more historians and fewer bankers (at least one less anyway!). I spent the first two chapters wondering if I could stand to listen to Ms. Vowell's voice and her odd cadence any longer, but now I'm sitting here wondering how I can stand NOT listening to it now that I'm finished. Like the author, I, too, have a "thing" for Abraham Lincoln so I knew that I was bound to like the book, but I didn't realize how much I would learn about his and subsequent administrations along the way. By the way, she makes a convincing correlation between the Bush II administration and that of President McKinley (Iraq: The Second Cuba?).

Part travelogue, part history lesson---Ms. Vowell is a wonderful writer and brings a lot of humor and insight to an already well-covered subject. Who knew that poor Robert Todd Lincoln was in all actuality the Angel of Presidential Death? It's because of tidbits like that that I'd love to sit down with Ms. Vowell and her Oneida teapot and talk more about such things like the eponymous sex cult in all it's glory.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassination Vacation.