Jane Stewart's Reviews > The Drop

The Drop by Michael Connelly

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: crime-mystery, 5-star-other
Read in December, 2011

Not much action or adrenaline, but excellent police procedural investigating. I smiled a lot.

One of the reasons I gave this 5 stars might be because I have read all the other Bosch books, and I miss him. I was so happy to have another book to read, but also it was very good. One thing I love about Bosch is his intense mission in life – catching murderers. It was satisfying. I enjoyed his thinking, comments, decisions, and actions.

After the last two Bosch books, Nine Dragons and The Reversal, I was wondering if the series was getting tired or wearing out. After this book my opinion is not at all. The Drop has all the cerebral good stuff in it that had me smiling a lot as I read. Nine Dragons was almost too much of an action film. In The Reversal, Mickey Haller was the lead character and Bosch had more of a secondary role. He didn’t do as much investigating as he did in earlier Bosch books. The Drop returns to interesting and entertaining “thinking” with Bosch as the main guy. It’s very much a police procedural, following along as Bosch investigates two cases and uncovers leads and clues and solves things. Well done plotting. This book does not have any immediacy or danger to Bosch, so there is less action and suspense than in his earlier books. But I was fine with that.

I liked the way Bosch discovered a leak to the press. I loved his interaction and events with his 15 year old daughter Maggie. She wants to be a cop. She had neat thoughts. There were times in the story of cat and mouse games, one character trying to outthink or outmaneuver another. I liked the idea of how Pell was linked to the killer and how that was developed. I liked how Bosch figured out the killer’s disguise. I liked the way Bosch insisted on creating his own murder book, the old way. The department wants them online/digital, but the old-fashioned paper binders work better for Bosch. He goes through the murder book in different ways when he needs to rethink his approach to a case.

STORY BRIEF:
This book has Bosch working two cases.

Irwin Irving is a city councilman. He is anti-police department and votes against funding for them. Over the years he made Bosch’s life difficult whenever he could. His son falls from a hotel balcony. He insists on Bosch being assigned to solve the case.

The second case is a twenty-year-old cold case. A smear of blood was found on a dead girl. Just recently the dna was matched to a child molester who is out of jail and on parole.

NARRATOR:
The narrator Len Cariou has narrated several Connelly books. I don’t know whether he changed or my hearing changed, but in this book he sounds like he has ill-fitting false teeth. It sounds like he has to make an effort to pronounce consonants. There is a lisp-like quality. It was distracting.

Other than that, he does excellent voices and interpretations. I like his interpretation of Bosch.

DATA:
Unabridged audiobook reading time: 10 hrs and 55 mins. Swearing language: strong, including religious swear words. Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: one referred to not shown. Setting: current day Los Angeles area, California. Book copyright: 2011. Genre: crime mystery. Ending: Very satisfying.

FOUR SERIES (Bosch, McEvoy, McCaleb, Haller):
I recommend reading the Harry Bosch books in order, but it would be ok to try “The Last Coyote” or “Lost Light” first, just to see if you like the style. Then go back and read the rest in order. Following is my recommended reading order. I’ve included four series within this list because there is a date flow and the characters interact. All of these books could be read as stand-alones, but reading them in order provides richer character development.

3 stars. The Black Echo (Bosch #1)
3 ½ stars. The Black Ice (Bosch #2)
4 stars. The Concrete Blonde (Bosch #3)
5 stars. The Last Coyote (Bosch #4)
4 stars. Trunk Music (Bosch #5)
4 stars. Angels Flight (Bosch #6)
4 ½ stars. Blood Work (McCaleb #1) Bosch is not in this.
3 ½ stars. A Darkness More Than Night (McCaleb #2) (Bosch #7) McCaleb is the primary investigator, but he interacts with Bosch.
3 ½ stars. City Of Bones (Bosch #8)
5 stars. Lost Light (Bosch #9)
5 stars. The Poet (McEvoy #1) Bosch is not in this. Read this any time before “The Narrows.”
4 stars. The Narrows (sequel to The Poet) (Bosch #10) Bosch is the main investigator.
3 stars. The Closers (Bosch #11)
3 ½ stars. Echo Park (Bosch #12)
4 stars. The Overlook (short, half-length) (Bosch #13)
4 ½ stars. The Lincoln Lawyer (Haller #1) Bosch is not in this.
4 stars. The Brass Verdict (Haller #2) (Bosch #14) Bosch has a small part in this.
4 ½ stars. Nine Dragons. (Bosch #15) Haller has a small part in this.
3 stars. The Reversal. (Haller #3) (Bosch #16) Mostly Haller. Bosch has a secondary role.
3 stars. The Fifth Witness (Haller #4)
5 stars. The Drop (Bosch #17)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drop.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura (Kyahgirl) Great review Jane. I haven't read anything since 9 Dragons and am missing Harry. I'll have to get this one.

Jane Stewart Thanks Laura. It's been a little while since I read the others, but as I started this one, I realized I really missed Harry. It felt so good to be around him again. I'm sad that it will probably be another year until there's another - if there's another.

I wonder, if I reread some of the earlier ones, would I up the ratings just because I missed him? Oh no, I hope not. One of these years I will reread, then we'll see. They could all go up with the way I'm feeling right now.

message 3: by James (last edited Dec 15, 2011 04:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

James Thane This is one of my favorite series, and your review makes me very anxious to get to this book.

Jane Stewart Oh cool! I'm glad. Thank you James.

Laura (Kyahgirl) I wonder, if I reread some of the earlier ones, would I up the ratings just because I missed him?..."

I have this same conundrum when I get to know the characters in a series. I become conscious of the fact that my reviews are no longer objective because now I'm talking about 'people I know'. They might be imaginary friends and all but what the heck!

Sidna You must have missed "The Fifth Witness." It was the Harry Bosch book after "Nine Dragons." It had Harry in court for most of the book, which was a nice change of pace.

Jane Stewart Sidna wrote: You must have missed "The Fifth Witness."

Sidna,
Thanks for writing. You are right about another book, although I think you wrote the wrong title. When I wrote my review I was leaning on my “personal preference” that The Reversal was really a Haller book, not a Bosch book. But technically you’re right. It is listed under both series. So now that you’ve outed me, I fixed the review, and added some more as well. And it’s better now. Thank you.

Sidna I agree that "The Reversal"was more of a Haller book than a Bosch book. I think it is sort of fun to have both characters in the book, but would like to see more Harry. Have you read "The Fifth Witness"? I thought it was a change of pace for Harry.

Jane Stewart Yes I enjoyed it. Although I felt it was weak for Connelly but above average when compared to other authors. There were some gaps I wanted filled. I wanted an epilogue. I liked the first two Haller books better.

Shirley I so agree with you - I too gave it 5 stars; I think Connelly should bring Harry's daughter into her own YA novel - her desire for police work could be an interesting YA novel - My first books were Nancy Drew LOL

message 11: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Stewart Shirley, That's a neat idea. Connelly is so talented I bet it would be good.

Shirley Thank you Jane regarding a YA novel. I advise anyone not familiar with Connelly, should start with his first book. When I read a Harry novel, I wonder if HBO could produce a TV series. Then I fear the casting would be all wrong!

Sidna I agree with Jane. When I started to read him a couple of years ago, I wasn't sure which book was first and started with the last one. Reading the early books is fun, because there are no cell phones or computers. He is always looking for a pay phone to call the station. What a hoot!

I was amazed that the movies decided to make a movie of his first Haller book instead of making a movie about Harry. I agree with you about the casting. I couldn't picture Matthew M, the slow talking Texan, as Mickey, but I thought he was o.k. in the movie. I hope they wouldn't cast that awful Daniel Craig as Harry. He is too efeminate for the macho roles in which they tend to cast him, although he was better in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo than I expected.

message 14: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Stewart Shirley & Sidna,
Man you guys have got my brain all twisted now. I have no idea who would be a good actor for Harry. I’d love to see a Harry movie. I agree Daniel Craig just doesn’t fit.

Sidna Too bad Bogart is dead. Maybe they should have a nationwide search for an unknown to play Harry and let us pick who gets the role!

message 16: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Stewart Oh yeah.

James Thane Just as long as it's someone who perfectly matches the way I see Harry in my mind's eye!

message 18: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Stewart LOL

Shirley The business of Hollywood is $$$$ - they'll want a big name whether he fits or not! I've seen that too many times. Yeah Bogey could do it in his day - jee not sure who could today, but I know who couldn't - Tom Hanks ever; Owen Wilson (not sure why he would be cast in anything but comedy, Tom Cruise- they're too many actors not to cast LOL. I think that's why HBO should do a series - not a theatrical movie. And yes a suitable unknown would be best.