Nick ••[Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist]'s Reviews > Of Poseidon

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

May 24, 12

Read from May 22 to 24, 2012

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog

I'm so frustrated. This week really hasn't been positive in terms of reading.

Of Poseidon. This was my first mermaid book ever. So, I had such high hopes for this book, but it ended up deceiving me. (Gorgeous cover I blame YOU)

I'm just going to point out the things that bothered me below :

1.Main character, Emma
Initially, I actually liked her character. She was sweet and really caring. She was even voted sweetest person at her school.
A few pages later, this "sweet" girl, throws a chick out of a hurricane-proof glass window and beats her up with the intention of probably killing her. (The chick in question is Rayna, Galen's sister. Oh and Galen just watches these two girls fight before him and doesn't even TRY to break up the fight. What kind of guy is he ?) Yeps, she turned into vicious bitch. I mean WTF ?
Emma also had some anger management issues. She was always feeling angry. So, she ended up being one of the most annoying characters ever!

2.Galen- hottie merman ... NOT
Creepy stalker dude. Controlling and manipulative. (Need I say more ?)

3.Rayna, Galen's twin sister
She started out as being this very bitchy character who hated everyone since she's married to Toraf, her friend, by her brother without her consent. [The Syrena females have no rights whatsoever] She does everything to reject the guy. BUT when she sees Toraf kissing Emma (Emma's idiotic plan - She told Toraf to play hard-to-get *Eye-roll), she's utterly jealous and she decides to go find an island for Toraf and her to frigging mate. WHAT.THE.EFF?

4.Chloe, Emma's best friend
(view spoiler)

5.Emma's pyscho mom
There's no other way to describe that woman. Her behavior was perplexing. I swear she acted like a child.
She basically emotionally forces her daughter to admit that she's dating Galen, when she wasn't !?!?! When Emma denied that she was dating him, her mom actually 'stomped' ! o.O
The woman had trust issues. For someone so protective, it's ridiculous how she was OK with Emma spending the night at Galen's place.

I wanted descriptions of the ocean, the underwater world. I wanted to learn more about the world of the Syrena, but the plot took place 90% of the time on land. So, I was pretty dejected.

Things I like :

1.The history of Syrenas
That was actually fascinating.

Overall, I hated the book and I probably won't picking up the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Poseidon.

05/23/2012 page 60
19.0% "I'm enjoying this one so far ! :)"
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Farah (new) - added it

Farah Hanani Aww.... Too bad... I remembered how you were so EXCITED for this. I'm kind of glad I didn't pick this up before Lies Beneath(and Lies Beneath was actually my 1st mermaid book).

message 2: by Nick ••[Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist] (last edited May 24, 2012 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nick ••[Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist] I know. I'm so upset right now. :(
I think this was one book was extremely hyped about, but it ended up disappointing me. Big Time.
I haven't read Lies Beneath yet, but I'll probably check it out. :) Hopefully, my faith in mermaids will be restored :P

Nick ••[Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist] Haha ! :P
Sorry for that, Barbara ! :P

I tend to stay away from mermaid books since most people I know hate them, but I heard great things about Of Poseidon, which is why I scooted off to get one for myself. -_-

Aww yes, I love Ariel too ! No one can beat her ! <3