Nocturnal's Reviews > If A Pirate I Must Be...: The True Story Of Bartholomew Roberts King Of The Caribbean

If A Pirate I Must Be... by Richard  Sanders

Jun 22, 08

I'm reading this for my A-Level history personal investigation, and it's really good for facts. A great combination of quotes and other evidence, explanations of how everything was at the time, little sashays off into the lives of other important figures such as Blackbeard or Calico Jack, and impressive storytelling make this a great book for either study or just interest.

Not only that, but you will undoubtedly find yourself becoming attached to the pirates, and when the inevitable conclusion comes, it doesn't seem that their punishment was really fair, considering the surprisingly low severity of their crimes - most were involved only in a small amount of robbery.

For myself, I grew to love Roberts himself, Valentine Ashplant, Henry Glasby, and George Wilson; though their eventual ends gave me a considerable amount of pity.

It also seems useful to pick up Captain Johnson's book in companionship to this one - most of Sanders' evidence came from there, though he will help you pick the fact from the fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If A Pirate I Must Be....