Lisa's Reviews > I Beat the Odds: From Homelessness, to The Blind Side, and Beyond

I Beat the Odds by Michael Oher

Dec 30, 11

Read from December 21 to 30, 2011

I really liked this book. Michael Oher is even more amazing in real life than the guy depicted in the movie "The Blind Side" (which I also really liked). The whole time I kept thinking that he's only my brother's age, and yet he has already seen and experienced so many sad things. Kudos to him for choosing a life better than the one handed to him. I get a kick out of watching the Ravens play now because I understand more about #74 and the position he plays.

There are times throughout the book when Oher tends to get a little preachy and repeat himself. But I found that I was willing to overlook that because I could tell it was the best way he knew how to emphasize those topics that are important to him, particularly the foster care system. It was a very eye-opening book in terms of some of the sad things that are unfortunately still happening in our country. But his message is one of hope, and I think he will help a lot of people by sharing it. I also thought it was cool that he shared some of his thoughts on how the movie compared to real life... I guess I didn't realize, for example, that he knew plenty about football (and a lot of other sports!) before he ever met the Tuohys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Beat the Odds.