Kengo's Reviews > The Ring of Fire

The Ring of Fire by Chris Bradford

U 50x66
Dec 12, 2011

Read from December 12, 2011 to January 09, 2012

Young Samurai the ring of fire by Chris Bradford is the sixth book of the best selling Young Samurai series. It starts yet again with Jack, the protagonist in this book, being in trouble on his journey to his home country England. This time Jack finds himself in the middle of a snowstorm with no food. He then meets a group of villagers who promises to give him food in the condition that he helps them ward off bandits who steal their rice. Jack later finds out that the bandits are from 30 to 40 in number and that their leader is Akuma the evil mountain bandit. Although at first, Jack thinks of running away and not helping, he chooses to help them and so he goes to find 5 more samurai.

I liked a lot of parts in this book all the way from the start to the end but there are 3 which I liked the most.

1)The part in which Hayato, a boy who Jack scouts to help them fight the bandits, performs a unbelievable feat by shooting an arrow dead centre on a target that was on a boat. I really liked how the author described the way Hayato slowly got into position and concentrated on the target an shot. I could even imagine his every move from how he moved into position and let go of the arrow.

2)The second part I liked was when Miyuki gets back Yori who was kidnapped by the bandits. It was so surprising when Yori just appeared behind her after everyone had given up when a massive fire was made in the place where Yori was supposed to be. It was also hilarious as the way Miyuki got him back was by using a straw solider.

3)The last part I liked was when all the villagers get their revenge on Akuma. The villagers all got their spears and stabbed him dead while saying quotes like “That’s for my son” or “Thats for my wife” (293)

I really enjoyed this book as the plot was perfect and did not take too much time until it went into the action. Although there is some violence, I would recommend this book to boys above 12.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ring of Fire.

02/04/2016 marked as: read