crazy-book-lady's Reviews > 253

253 by Geoff Ryman

1207563
Jul 05, 08

bookshelves: canadian
Recommended for: anyone who looks around a crowded subway car and tries to guess the stories of the other passengers
Read in July, 2008

Finished this a couple of days ago. This book is a good example of why I love Bookcrossing. I had never heard of this book, or author, before picking it up at a Bookcrossing social. It was wonderful, and so different than anything else I have read!

I am one of those people who occasionally looks around in a subway car, or stadium, or traffic jam, and ponders the fact that all these people, who are sharing a moment, are in the middle of their own stories...everyone has a different past...people who think about them...a mother. This book is a glimpse into a moment in time for 252 passengers (+ driver) on a subway train in London. Each person is like a short story (in 253 words). Some of their lives intersect. Events in a car are seen and interpreted in different ways by different passengers. Some passengers are making life altering decisions, many, though they don't know it, are making life and death decisions.

This is a book that I will be thinking about for a while. I might try to find a copy for myself, so I can dip into it occasionally.

The author was born in Canada, but has lived in the UK for many years. The author blurb in my copy of the book describes him as "a Canadian writer", so that's why he is on my "canadian" shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 253.