Rowena's Reviews > The Illustrated Book of Negroes

Dec 18, 14

bookshelves: afrocentric, canadian-lit
Recommended to Rowena by: Maxine
Read from December 12 to 13, 2011

This is definitely the best book I read in 2011 and one I will remember for a long time. Aminata Diallo is such a powerful character, a woman who had to deal with so much in her life but came out with a small victory in the end. Slavery is something we all know about but it's very rare we really think about what the slaves went through, and how they were forced to adopt to a new culture and life separated from their family and homeland.Lawrence Hill did exceptional work on this book.
38 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Illustrated Book of Negroes.

Lylia I have had this book in my drawer for a year now and I never read it! I should read it next

Rowena Lylia wrote: "I have had this book in my drawer for a year now and I never read it! I should read it next"
A lady from Church kept recommending it to me. I kept hearing about it but never thought I'd like it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it:)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Hi Rowena, I just had another friend recommend I read this, which led me to your review. Nice one:) Must read.
ps: horrible night for the tricker treaters eh? I felt so bad for the little drowned souls, I gave them more candies than is probably healthy:)

Rowena It is a wonderful book, Florence! I hope you enjoy it. What was nice to was that the writer is Canadian :) I know, poor trick-or-treaters! I didn't see too many people dressed up this year, which was a pity. Did you hear any fireworks in your neighbourhood?

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Rowena wrote: "It is a wonderful book, Florence! I hope you enjoy it. What was nice to was that the writer is Canadian :) I know, poor trick-or-treaters! I didn't see too many people dressed up this year, which w..."

As to Canadian author, that's exactly why she recommended it to me - I really want to pay more attention to our home grown authors...
Crazy amount of fireworks - more fireworks than kids, it was nuts (my dogs were in a panic) I was actually wondering how on earth they were managing to even light them in that downpour! No harm done, my puppies are glad it's over though:)

Rowena Same here, re: Canadian authors. I have Alice Munro to read next.

More fireworks than children, you're right! I was thinking the same thing, very surprised that they got them to light. And poor dogs :( The UK does safety campaigns every year about fireworks and pets, I've yet to see that here.

message 7: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill hi Rowena, I had lent my copy of this book to a friend before I read it myself, and just got it back after about 2 years! must read it soon. I notice you haven't been on GR for a while....busy studying?

Rowena Hi Bill! I'm actually in China, this is the first time I've checked Goodreads in a couple of weeks. Hope you enjoy this book once you read it:)

message 11: by Joe (new) - added it

Joe B.Ck.T This is the first time I have heard of this book. As per your review, I am looking forward to reading it as soon as possible. Thank you Rowena for your views. My curiosity is now peaked!

Rowena I'm so glad, Joe, thank you! It's honestly a wonderful book. I think the American title is "Somebody Knows My Name."

Shannon BET will air a mini-series on this book in February.

Details and a trailer can be found here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10...

Rowena Nice! Thanks, Shannon:)

message 15: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill in China!!! Wow...I hope you're having a good time!

message 16: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill When do you get back home?

Rowena I am, Bill, thanks! I'll be back home in 3 weeks:)

message 18: by Hattie (new) - added it

Hattie I've wanted a copy of this book for the longest time. Must read it.

message 19: by Hattie (new) - added it

Hattie Lawrence Hill must be a great author.I always see the title "The Book of Negroes." Never have seen the word "Illustrated." Will look for the illustrated.

Rowena Hattie wrote: "I've wanted a copy of this book for the longest time. Must read it."

Please do, Hattie!I will be re-reading it at some point:)

Rowena Hattie wrote: "Lawrence Hill must be a great author.I always see the title "The Book of Negroes." Never have seen the word "Illustrated." Will look for the illustrated."

If you're in the States, I think the title is "Somebody Knows My Name."

message 22: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline How wonderful that you're in China Rowena! It must be an amazing experience, and I am sure you are making the most of it.

Rowena Hello Caroline, I just left China last week:) It was an amazing experience, I really had a brilliant time!

message 24: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline I'm delighted for you!

message 25: by Joe (new) - added it

Joe B.Ck.T Hi Rowena & Caroline,

Rowena Caroline wrote: "I'm delighted for you!"

Thanks so much!

Rowena Joe wrote: "Hi Rowena & Caroline,

FINALLY found and purchased the book!!! Thanks!!! It's in my top three reads. Will let you know my thoughts when completed!"

Great! I'm happy to hear that, looking forward to hearing your thoughts:)