Lee Ann's Reviews > Shaedes of Gray

F_50x66
Dec 12, 11

Recommended for: Mercy Thompson series fans; Kat Richardson fans
Read from December 11 to 12, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I basically picked this up because I liked the title and the cover and wanted another good series to start. Signet Eclipse labels it as an "urban fantasy romance" although I would categorize it more as paranormal urban fantasy than as a romance. The romance will be ongoing (one assumes) in coming books just as Patricia Briggs has developed Mercy and Adam's story throughout the Mercy Thompson series. Any one who enjoys that series will rejoice to see something along vaguely similar lines. There are no vampires or werewolves in this Seattle set series...at least not as yet. But then the heroine of the book, Darian, who can slide from substance into a shadowy form that makes her job as a paid assassin (only of bad guys...she does has a personal code of honor)very unfair to her prey doesn't know about the other things that go bump in the night either. She was told by her maker and former lover that there were no others like them before he disappeared and left her basically untutored as to what exactly they really were. Now, three quarters of a century later, Darian trusts no one and lets no one into her heart even though her boss would really love to get closer. And when her latest target turns out to be not only a good guy, but the High King of her supposedly non-existent kind, Darian has a whole heap of questions she needs answered before she'll sell her sword hand to anyone else.

I really enjoyed the action, the characters, and the world building. There are lots of otherworldly creatures described here and Darian herself occupies a unique position amongst them...again, sort of like Mercy in the Briggs' books. However, I don't want to spoil the revelations. Read it and, like me, you'll find that you've discovered a whole new series worth immersing yourself in...can't wait for book 2!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shaedes of Gray.