Grey Liliy's Reviews > Loki

Loki by Mike Vasich

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: loved, monster, adventure, mythology
Read from May 30 to June 07, 2012

Loved it--and helped I'm the target audience for this book: Interested in Norse Mythology (You can thank Marvel's Thor & Loki for that), but only familiar with one or two of the original stories (In my case: Sleipner's birth & Freya!Thor).

Vaisch does a great job of linking together some of the more prominent stories of Norse Mythology into a single narrative, adjusting here or there to give it a bit of an original spin. Each section starts with--what I assume--is the original myth's account of the story, followed by the retelling/novel. It gets a little repetitive, but I enjoyed comparing the two to see the changes.

The story's are told well, and I easily found myself attached to most--if not all of the gods--in addition to the delightful Loki. In fact, I can now count myself among the Tyr & Fenrir fans (which is fun because I had no clue who Tyr was when I picked this up.) And ignoring my desire to beat Odin over the head with his own weapon, I really loved how all the events tied together into a giant climax.

Everyone got a little moment in the spotlight and Loki was his charismatic, and sympathetic self.

So, to summarize: Great introduction to Norse Mythology. Puts it all together into a comprehensive & exciting narrative.

Good stuff. <3

(And for the record, yes, I did read this entire book picturing the Marvel counterparts as the characters. I couldn't help myself no matter how many times they said Thor's beard was red. Heh.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loki.

05/30/2012
1.0% "I am 100% certain I will picturing the movie cast of Thor in the roles of this book as I read. Sorry original Mythology, I just love Marvel's take too much to be healthy. XD *proceeds to read*"
05/30/2012
6.0% "Oh hey, I recognize this one (the mason and the horse) . Poor Loki. XD"
05/31/2012
11.0% "Learning new things! Like why Odin has one eye. :D"
06/04/2012
26.0% "Thor!! <3"
06/04/2012
33.0% "Love Thor. XD *pats him*"
06/05/2012
50.0% "*smacks Odin upside the head* Bad! No! XD *hugs Loki* He is such a woobie at times."
06/06/2012
71.0% "Sucks to be Tyr and Balder. And Fenrir. And everyone. Save Thor. Thor seems to be doing okay. XD"
06/06/2012
89.0% "*pats Balder and Tyr*"
06/07/2012
100.0% "Whoo. And we're done. *hugs Tyr*"
show 1 hidden update…