Liz's Reviews > Practice Cake

Practice Cake by Dalya Moon

Dec 15, 11

liked it
Read from December 12 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy

Practice Cake is a feel good YA novel. The concept and the plot were a lot of fun. I rooted for Maddie throughout the story as she goes from not very sure of herself to assertive. The other characters? Not so much. It seems that every single person Maddie meets, with the exception of her male boss, is both mean and vain. They also don't seem believable as real people. Her friends are an actress and a fashion blogger. She goes clubbing with her boss's wife. Many of the side characters are one dimensional and stereotypical. We have the best friends who are always green with envy. The boyfriend who is a verbally abusive jerk. The boss's hot wife who finds pleasure getting away from her kid and husband to go clubbing and doesn't seem to be super happy in her marriage. The hot guy at work gives mixed signals. However, the reality show was fun and there was a lot going on in the book, so I never got bored. In the end, good triumphs and Maddie finds her career and decides what she's going to do with her life now that high school is over. Is the ending a little cliche and silly? Yes, but so it the whole book, so I saw it coming and I enjoyed the predictable ride yet inevitable happy ending. It was a cute YA read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Practice Cake.