Heather's Reviews > The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King by T.H. White

Jun 16, 2008

bookshelves: awe-inspiring-monumental-books, fantasy-reads

Seriously, how do you review the pinnacle of all fantasy? You can argue with me, but that, in my opinion, is what The Once and Future King is. Sure, the evil enchantresses are stout and grumpy, the magical castles are made out of food, the lily maids are fat and of a certain age, and the knights in shining armor refer to one another as ‘old chap’s. Oh and did I mention that King Arthur’s nickname is ‘the Wart’?
Somehow, T.H. White takes the legend, undresses it, and gives it a new kind of dignity. Fantastical happenstance takes secondary place to human emotions and actions, noble, selfish, and ridiculous. And the narrator himself always lurks somewhere, hastening to explain himself when it seems necessary, or simply describe the king of the fishes as ‘rather American looking, like Uncle Sam.’. To some the novel- subdivided into four books- may seem big and slow-moving. But it is not a book to read in a day; nor should it be, since it concerns entire lives, whole worlds, both real and imaginary. The characters are spared no description; we know them better than we ever could have before. This is fiction at its finest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Once and Future King.

04/04/2016 marked as: read

Robert Blenheim You're right! A masterpiece with writing so beautiful it made me breathless. Compared to
White, Tolkien is a plodding bore. This IS the pinnacle of fantasy.

message 2: by Jax (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jax Woah now, The Once and Future King is fantastic and one of my long time favorites, but Tolkien is likely responsible for you having read T H White's novel. Tolkien is responsible for the resurgence of the high fantasy genre after it died for years and is widely considered to be the father of modern fantasy. Tolkien is certainly not a "plodding bore", so show some respect to a great storyteller.

message 3: by Desert (new) - added it

Desert How is Tolkien responsible for the creation of the book exactly, Jax? That doesn't sound right.