Seawood's Reviews > Asunder

Asunder by David Gaider

Feb 12, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, hard-copy, 2012-200-books-challenge
Read from December 12, 2011 to February 12, 2012

I'm not sure what to think! What a cliffhanger to end on. DA3 can't come soon enough!

Thedas is a wonderful universe to both play and read in; I've spent hundreds of hours reading the novels and playing the games. I love how the franchise truly works in such different media across a huge story arc; it's truly collaborative. The detail is tremendously rich, the characters, including your own, are people you come to know well and yet are still unpredictable. And if you're a fan of multiple play-throughs as I am, it's fascinating to take different choices and see how some things are inevitable and which scenarios are malleable.

In terms of Asunder as a novel, it fits right into the global mythos but it is *not* a stand-alone book by any means - it presupposes quite a lot of knowledge about how mages and the Chantry work, about the role and function of Templars and you really do need to know about that Nasty Business In Kirkwall. It's not *quite* as un-put-downable as the prequels, The Stolen Throne and The Calling, and I must admit I found Rhys a bit flat as characters go (he is no Alistair, but then who is!) - Anders, whiny as he was in DA2, was more interesting. Adrian, too, was a bit 2D. But Evangeline is great and I do hope Divine Justinia will come out to play in the next game as she sounds fascinating. It was good to meet old friends, too. All in all, if you've played the games it's required reading; I'm not at all sure you'd get on with it so well if you haven't.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asunder.

12/12/2011 page 40
10.0% "Yes, I am actually reading this in hard copy."
01/02/2012 page 243
61.0% "It is SO good to be back in Thedas again."