The BookWhisperer's Reviews > The Gamble

The Gamble by Kristen Ashley

May 10, 12

bookshelves: favorites, series
Read from May 07 to 10, 2012

The Gamble was my first introduction to Kristen Ashley. After concluding it is absolutely guaranteed that I am her newest fan. This story in particular follows Max and Nina. Two completely unique and different characters. Max being the mouth watering mountain man, and Nina as the English conservative definition of a woman are a very unlikely pair. All concerns are laid to rest from the first encounter. Nina and Max are like fire and dynamite, and the story that concludes will rock readers to their core. Max and Nina meet in another very unlikely situation when she pays for a two week vacation in the mountains; only to find the owner is home and the vacation will be canceled. When is terrible sickness overcomes Nina the most unlikely character rises to the occasion with tender love and care. This is the beginning of roller coaster ride that left me breathless. What starts out primarily as a romance soon shifts when a suspense novel. When a murder hits close to home everyone in this sleepy town becomes a suspect. As Max and Nina's relationship grows, she rapidly gaining friends from this little town. Although, with the good always comes bad and not everyone is excited for Nina to be in Gnaw Bone. Nina's vacation soon becomes overwhelming ride, and this little timeout just might end up costing her more than the plane tickets or cabin reservations.

As you can obviously tell I loved this story. From start to finished Nina and Max offer a thrilling and intense story that will see you through to the very end. As a avid reader and a book blogger I am required to be honest and open minded. Therefore, I must recognize where there is room for improvement and review accordingly. There were a couple things that stood out about this novel that was easily overlooked because it was so absolutely incredible, but to create a truly honest review I am going to address them here. As this was such an action packed novel it was very noticeable any time the story seems to slow down. Every so often this seemed to happened throughout the story, and it gave me moments that felt like I was dragging through the story. It was not enough to cause me any real heartbreak, but it was enough that it will be noticed. Secondly, I noticed that Nina's character was a little wishy washy at moments. For someone that was built as strong and independent; she had a few moments that I was ready to throttle her. As these were very few moments; it too was easy to overlook, but they were there none the less. Lastly, and was the one I noticed the most. Almost every time Max says something to Nina she has one response, "Sorry?". I could have handled the simple fact of her making him repeat himself as though what she heard was a shocked. Though every single time she said that same one word, "Sorry?". There are an abundance of other things that could have been said in it's place such as: pardon me, excuse me, can you repeat that, anything. This appeared so frequently, that I noticed the response losing its effect at portraying the characters response.

Even with a few concerns this book is a newest BOOKWHISPERER FAVORITE. I can not wait to see where the next book in the series will take us. With a five star read like The Gamble I can't wait to see what this author has up her sleeve.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gamble.

05/10/2012