Hannah's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: 2011-reads, too-awful-for-words, ya
Read in December, 2011

THE SEVEN STAGES OF READING HELL: When You Realize You're Going to be the Odd Man Out (Once Again) With a Wildly Hyped and Popular Book that Everyone Else Loved

as Presented by:
The Coterie of Emotive Kittehs (courtesy of Google Images)

December 13, 2011

Page 354:

Page 404:

Page 475:

Final Analysis of my Reading Experience:

(What? You didn't think I was going to show a kitteh with a knife in its eye, did you?)

Rating: A (Very) Generous 1 Star

The Moral of this Review:
I should not read any more YA dystopian novels.

THE END

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Tatiana LOL. I wonder what inspired you to read it in the first place?

message 2: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Love it.

message 3: by Hannah (last edited Dec 13, 2011 05:42AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Hannah Tatiana wrote: "LOL. I wonder what inspired you to read it in the first place?"

1. Hanneybean
2. The Hype
3. Hoping it would be similar to The Hunger Games. Honestly, I'm glad I read THG, but it has seriously effected my appreciation for this genre. I keep hoping I can find another reading thrill like that one.

Hannah Misfit wrote: "Love it."

Emotive Kittehs RULE :)

Tatiana Hannah wrote: "Hoping it would be similar to The Hunger Games. Honestly, I'm glad I read THG, but it has seriously effected my appreciation for this genre. I keep hoping I can find another reading thrill like that one. "

Hannah Tatiana wrote: "I've already given up on this hope, because it's a hope destined to fail. Anything that is similar to HG will be just a wannabee, a copy cat. Instead it is more rewarding to look for originality..."

No doubt you are right. As you know, this isn't my "go to" genre, so I tend to get swayed by hype and general positive concensus when determining whether I'll read a YA dystopian. Hanneybean wasn't over the moon with it. She told me there wasn't much world-building or thrills involved (so right). We got it from the library, and had some good discussions about it, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

message 7: by Kathryn (last edited Dec 13, 2011 08:27AM) (new)

Kathryn Hahaaaaa!!!! Ohmygosh! That is a hilarious review. Those kitty pictures. Ahahaaaahaaaa! You are so clever! Though, I am sorry the book proved to be so awful for you.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim Hannah, It's wonderful how you're prepared to suffer to save others from harm!

Hannah Kathryn wrote: "Hahaaaaa!!!! Ohmygosh! That is a hilarious review. Those kitty pictures. Ahahaaaahaaaa! You are so clever! Though, I am sorry the book proved to be so awful for you."

Thanks, Kathryn. I had high hopes for it.

Arlene LOL Hannah. Thanks for not showing a kitten being stabbed in the eye. You know how I feel about animals. :P

Sorry you didn't care for this. :/

message 11: by Hannah (last edited Dec 13, 2011 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Hannah Kim wrote: "Hannah, It's wonderful how you're prepared to suffer to save others from harm!"

To be honest, Kim, I didn't actually think I was going to suffer.

After all, this was the 2011 Goodreads best overall book (it also won in its individual category). IDK, I guess I'm just not the type for this kind of book (although I loved The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset).

Hannah Arlene wrote: "LOL Hannah. Thanks for not showing a kitten being stabbed in the eye. You know how I feel about animals. :P

Sorry you didn't care for this. :/"

Arlene,
I'm glad I didn't find any photo with a kitten being stabbed (you never know what you'll come across when you start to search the internet).

I think I'm pretty much going to have to resign myself to being on the outside looking in. And I was spoiled from having The Hunger Games be my first dystopian novel. The bar was set high.

Ariana Hahaa. I love this review (even though I did like the book). You made me laugh so much ;))

I know how it feels not to like a book that so many others seem to love, so I get your point on this.
I hope the next dystopian book you choose to read will be better for you :)

message 14: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) I see the kitten pictures foretold your opinion of the book. I intentionally didn't ask which book you were writing the review on so I could be surprised. I've learned if I am going to read any YA dystopian to not read Hunger Games first.

Did your Hannah like this as much as HG? I have to ask if she has seen your review yet?

Hannah Ari wrote: "Hahaa. I love this review (even though I did like the book). You made me laugh so much ;))

I ..."

Thank you, Ari. All booklovers probably have that feeling sometimes. I'm glad I made you laugh :)

message 16: by Hannah (last edited Dec 13, 2011 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Hannah Dawn (& Ron) wrote: "I see the kitten pictures foretold your opinion of the book. I intentionally didn't ask which book you were writing the review on so I could be surprised. I've learned if I am going to read any YA ..."

Dawn,
No, she loved The Hunger Games just as much as I did (this one not as much). And she's not home from school yet, but she saw the pictures earlier and I told her what I had planned ;D

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston Oh, perfectly summed up! Brava! (flings virtual roses)

message 18: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) I should have read message #6 first to see what Hanneybean had to say about HG. Does she give you her book reads and ratings while at school so you can post them for her (since she can't yell it from the other room)?

Hannah Rebecca wrote: "Oh, perfectly summed up! Brava! (flings virtual roses)"

haha - Thanks, Rebecca!

Hannah Dawn (& Ron) wrote: "I should have read message #6 first to see what Hanneybean had to say about HG. Does she give you her book reads and ratings while at school so you can post them for her (since she can't yell it fr..."

She doesn't review all of her reads. I don't think she reviewed HG. Usually, she'll be finishing up a book in the living room and then call out to me. Sometimes, though, she does do it herself - it depends on her mood!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Fabulous review. :D

Hannah Sarah wrote: "Fabulous review. :D"

Thanks, Sarah - the kittehs get all the credit :)

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Cute Animal Spam makes a snarky review ten times more awesome. :D

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Hahaha, love it, Hannah!!

Hannah Anna wrote: "Hahaha, love it, Hannah!!"

Thanks, Anna! :D

message 26: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy S First of all, I'm sad because none of the images would show up on my computer. So I feel like I've missed a fun party. But second, yes, I am drawn to a YA dystopian like a moth to a flame because when they are good they are sooo good. But when they are bad, oh boy.

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill Fantastic review Hannah. I have no idea if I'd even like this book, but your review was (probably) more entertaining!

And please don't let Hannybean see your mean review. Poor kid.

Hannah Amy wrote: "First of all, I'm sad because none of the images would show up on my computer. So I feel like I've missed a fun party. But second, yes, I am drawn to a YA dystopian like a moth to a flame because w..."

I appreciate it, Amy!
I guess this genre is much like any other - very good or very bad, only the expectations are probably higher for dystopian lit. because not only do you have to have a compelling story, but you absolutely have to sell the reader on your world building.

Hannah Jill wrote: "Fantastic review Hannah. I have no idea if I'd even like this book, but your review was (probably) more entertaining!

And please don't let Hannybean see your mean review. Poor kid."

haha - don't worry about Hanneyhean's feelings - she's used to her mom complaining about her book choices. She rags me on some of mine as well!

Thanks, Jill :)

message 30: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy S Okay, eureka!!! Somehow the pictures are showing up today! I am so impressed at how awesome this review is! I am inspired for the future. The last one is the best. We need to copy and paste it for all kinds of future reviews.

Hannah Amy wrote: "Okay, eureka!!! Somehow the pictures are showing up today! I am so impressed at how awesome this review is! I am inspired for the future. The last one is the best. We need to copy and paste it for ..."

Thanks Amy! Glad the photos came up. I can't take any credit for their awesomeness - I found all of them off Google Images. This is a great place to find pictures or just go to have a laugh. Some of the search words I used were "disgusted cat", "cat barfing", "confused cat", etc. There are so many funny, cute pictures out there.

Rachel I think this is the best review ever written. ;)

Hannah Rachel wrote: "I think this is the best review ever written. ;)"

LOL - a fellow cat lover, perhaps?
Thanks :D

message 34: by Carol (new)

Carol Kerry-green LOL, love the review Hannah.

If you're looking for good YA dystopian fiction, I recommend Isabelle Carmody's Obernewtyn series if books. She's an Australian author and I bought the books in 1998 when we were over there, so I'm not sure of their availability now, but your library may be able to get hold of some of them.

Or any YA fiction by Ann Halam (a pseudonym for Gwyneth Jones, one of my favourite authors.

Hannah Carol wrote: "LOL, love the review Hannah.

Thanks, Carol. I'll put Carmody's series on my TBR for the next time I attempt YA dystopian :)

message 36: by Elizabetha (new) - added it

Elizabetha Souvré I LOVE THIS!!! LOL

Hannah Elizabetha wrote: "I LOVE THIS!!! LOL"

message 38: by Anca (new) - rated it 1 star

Anca Avram I just finished the book and I totally agree with your comment. I saw the rating and I had great expectations. Totally disappointed. Worst book I read lately...the author struggled to write it. There is no talent in there. I love you cats expressions.

Hannah Anca wrote: "I just finished the book and I totally agree with your comment. I saw the rating and I had great expectations. Totally disappointed. Worst book I read lately...the author struggled to write it. The..."

Thanks, Anca. I really struggled with the idea that this was such a popular book. Don't get all the hype.

Terra Best review ever. Seriously.

message 41: by Hannah (last edited Jan 12, 2012 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Hannah Terra wrote: "Best review ever. Seriously."

Wow, Terra, thanks!

Bonnie LOL That? Is hilaroius. And that last picture is priceless.

message 43: by Hannah (last edited Jan 19, 2012 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Hannah Bonnie wrote: "LOL That? Is hilaroius. And that last picture is priceless."

Thank you, Bonnie!
I find the 'ole knife-in-the-eye works for the really stinker books :D

Bonnie Yeah, I've been refusing to succumb to peer pressure and have yet to read this. :)

Looking at several reviews...I think I made the right decision.

message 45: by Hannah (last edited Jan 19, 2012 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Hannah Bonnie wrote: "Yeah, I've been refusing to succumb to peer pressure and have yet to read this. :)

Looking at several reviews...I think I made the right decision."

I'm flummoxed as to exactly why this is so popular (and it was the Goodreads #1 book for 2011). There is no plot to speak of, no world building that's so essential for dystopian novels, lackluster characters. Just a "meh" book, IMO, but it takes all kinds. Have you read "The Hunger Games"? THAT I liked alot.

Bonnie Yeah I was pretty shocked at the award of book of the year... made me want to read it and see what all the fuss was about. But I'm okay skipping it. There are so many more books actually worth my time. :)

Hannah Bonnie wrote: "Yeah I was pretty shocked at the award of book of the year... made me want to read it and see what all the fuss was about"

Well obviously I don't think you'll be missing anything by passing this by!

Bonnie YA is always hit or miss these days. I try and stay away from it as much as I can. lol

Maree  ♫ Light's Shadow ♪ There are still other good dystopians! I wasn't a fan of this one either, but I still think that dytopians are the best YA fiction out there for the most part.

Bonnie Agreed, I'm a huge fan of dystopian novels.

« previous 1 3