Brad Sells's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Dec 12, 2011

bookshelves: 2012-favorites, arc-own, signed-books, 2012-top-12, all-time-favorites, re-read
Read from November 07 to 10, 2015 , read count: 3

First read: June 18, 2012 - June 21, 2012

First, I want to say a big, big, BIG thank you to Marissa Meyer for hosting the giveaway for this book back in June 2012! Thanks Marissa!

SCARLET is one of those rare occasions where the author writes an even better novel than the already great predecessor. Marissa Meyer has officially put herself onto my favorite-authors list!

What I love most about SCARLET was how we were introduced to Scarlet Benoit, a very awesome and fierce character who I absolutely loved rooting for -- but we also still continue our journey with Cinder, our main protagonist in both CINDER and its sequel. I loved the distinct voices of both these girls, and how their journeys intertwined with each other absolutely blew my mind.

Because Marissa Meyer is a master of surprises, and she proves it in SCARLET. There are tons - and I mean tons - of secrets that are brought to light in this novel, and it simply made me go, WHAT?! Because SCARLET is filled with turns and surprises and will make readers question everything they ever knew about this fantastic series.

Plus, Wolf is such an epic character! Male characters are starting to get flat for me, but Wolf is one character who I would want as a best friend. As long as he wasn't insane that day. And Captain Thorne was also really cool! I wasn't expecting him to play a major role in the book, but boy, he sure did. And Meyer did a great job at crafting her characters.

The ending was insane! Gah! It was totally epic and fantastic; now, I'm dying for CRESS! Remember the girl from CINDER who talked to Cinder through the webcam? I bet she is going to be Cress (A.K.A. Rapunzel). SCARLET has one of the best endings ever, and I absolutely love it.

Overall, SCARLET is possibly the best sequel I have ever read. Readers are going to fall in love even harder with this next installment in The Lunar Chronicles. Can't wait for the next book!

Second time read: May 29, 2014

One of my favorite series, hands down. The world is so complex, and it honestly blows my mind how Meyer is able to combine all these stories and weave them together to make one fantastic arc of a story. LOVE.

Third time read: November 7 to 10, 2015

I love catching small details that I've missed before. Scarlet is such a strong, action-packed sequel, and I completely forgot how much I love Scarlet's attitude.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

06/18/2012 page 1
0.22% "SO EXCITED!!!"
06/18/2012 page 50
11.06% "LOVING IT!!!" 4 comments
06/18/2012 page 111
24.56% "Is it possible that I like this one better than Cinder? And I LOVED Cinder!" 1 comment
06/19/2012 page 245
54.2% "Oh my gosh, this is incredible. Scarlet is definitely one of my favorite sequels of all time. It could be my favorite. :D"
06/20/2012 page 361
79.87% "CRAZINESS IS HAPPENING."
05/29/2014 marked as: currently-reading
05/29/2014 page 50
11.0% "Re-reading! I've missed this world so bad."
05/30/2014 marked as: read
11/07/2015 marked as: currently-reading
11/07/2015 page 50
11.0% "Re-reading!"
11/10/2015 marked as: read
show 12 hidden updates…

message 1: by Aneeqah (new) - added it

Aneeqah Ahhh I want to read this so badly!! Glad to hear that you enjoyed this, Brad!

Amanda I have already pre-ordered this book. I'm so jealous that you have gotten to read it already!

Kimberly Moeller I completely agree with you! Ms Meyer was considerate enough to have copies of Scarlet available at ALA, and after having shared Cinder with my mother, I'm pretty sure she would have disowned me if I didn't bring home a copy. I received a frantic call from her last night after she finished reading Scarlet, demanding to know when the next book in the series would be published. I'm not sure I can handle the wait for Cress!

Claire My god, is it out yet? I NEED TO GET IT! OMIGOD!! (rushes to the book store) XD

Brad Sells Claire wrote: "My god, is it out yet? I NEED TO GET IT! OMIGOD!! (rushes to the book store) XD"

Haha. This book was so good! It comes out in February 2013 :D

Claire Brad wrote: "Claire wrote: "My god, is it out yet? I NEED TO GET IT! OMIGOD!! (rushes to the book store) XD"

Haha. This book was so good! It comes out in February 2013 :D"

...Ugh. And I was so excited... ;(

message 7: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan I've read Cinder. Waiting for SCARLET is going to kill me!!!!!!!!

Claire Megan wrote: "I've read Cinder. Waiting for SCARLET is going to kill me!!!!!!!!"

I know! I'm literally at my wits' ends because of this book! My friend is the same way. Ugh! I reeeally want to just fast-forward to 2013... DX

message 9: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan I know!!! My friend Kaysha and I have both read it and can't wait for SCARLET. I'm so glad someone replied to my comment. I'm new to Goodreads. That was the first comment I've posted.

Claire Megan wrote: "I know!!! My friend Kaysha and I have both read it and can't wait for SCARLET. I'm so glad someone replied to my comment. I'm new to Goodreads. That was the first comment I've posted."

Ehehehe...Same here. :)

message 11: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Nice!!!!

GirlGoneBookish This may be a stupid question, but do you have to read Cinder before you read Scarlet. I know it's a series, but Cinder doesn't sound like my cup of tea...

message 13: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad Sells GirlGoneBookish wrote: "This may be a stupid question, but do you have to read Cinder before you read Scarlet. I know it's a series, but Cinder doesn't sound like my cup of tea..."

Yes, you do need to read Cinder before Scarlet. Cinder was amazing, Inge! Read it! :D

GirlGoneBookish Brad wrote:
Yes, you do nee..."

::Sigh:: everyone keeps saying I need to, I guess I will Thanks!! :-)

message 15: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan To GirlGoneBookish...

GirlGoneBookish Megan wrote: "To GirlGoneBookish...

It will help. I wasn't sure I wanted to read Cinder, but it is really good. Give it a try and let me know what u think!"

I hear a lot of good things about it, but it helps to know that you weren't really sure if you wanted to read it, and liked it! THAT makes me feel better! I think I will give it a try sometime this year. Im not on a book buying ban, but I told myself after the first of the year I have to read 5 books from my TBR before I bought a new book, so Cinder may be the first one I pick up! :-) Thanks for your input!

Charlie Ika-Heimonen I'm taking a Poll on my blog for who would cast as the best Scarlet here: http://charliebooks.blogspot.ca Because Movie rights for the Lunar Chronicles are in discussion! eg Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Brittney Snow, or Amy Adams.