Michael's Reviews > The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood

The Information by James Gleick

Feb 22, 14

bookshelves: science, history, society-and-culture
Read from December 22, 2013 to January 08, 2014

This book is a trip. Not going to write much here as a I have a more involved review on my blog, Constant Geography. This book really discusses information and all of the associated issues with moving information through society. Very interesting and thought-provoking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Information.

12/22 marked as: currently-reading
12/22 page 17
3.0% "I'm sure someone will review, "Ho hum, I knew all this stuff on information already." Meh; good for you. Guess what? Me, too. But, I still like these books and think, as I read, to bear in mind if others might enjoy the book. Not only do I read the book for me, but so I can argue if the book is valuable to others. Gleick likes writing about science and has found a niche."
12/25 page 124
23.0% "Charles Babbage & Ada Lovelace, partners in imagination who were each and together well ahead of their time. Their frustration of seeing what could be accomplished yet having neither the technology to build the Analytic Engine nor the language to even discuss the principles involved. How to discuss technology and science when language lags?"
12/27 page 178
33.0% "Claude Shannon is not a name most would recognize. He epitomizes education, however. As a kid, he built a telegraph from barbed wired. While studying engineering, he pursued mathematics. While working on math, he developed a theory of algebra for the study of genetics. His work was never published. Forty years later his work was discovered. Shannon was well-ahead of his time, or, on-time yet not recognized."
12/29 page 204
38.0% "Kurt Gödel makes a substantive appearance, proving there are some truths which cannot be proved & no systems are complete and consistent."
01/06 page 293
55.0% "This book is completely unexpected. The Information covers many facets of information, not merely computer information, but DNA, RNA, cryptography, language, and other forms of information. Also, sort of a biography of Claude Shannon."
01/08 marked as: read