Mary (BookHounds)'s Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

bookshelves: 2011, from-publisher-author, young-adult
Read in October, 2011

MY THOUGHTS
ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT

If you haven't noticed before, there is a quote from this book at the top of my blog:

You'd have to have, like, a lentil for a soul to hate wiener dogs. ~Zuzana from The Daughter of Smoke & Bones by Laini Taylor

So if you are a follower of my blog, you know that I insist you adore wiener dogs and thus Zuzana stole my heart. She is a supporting character in this book but, oh so important, to give comic relief and after attending an author appearance at my local Barnes and Noble, I equally fell in love with the author who explained her writing style and thoughts behind the characters. I have to agree with her that the way the story unfolds in a circular timeline is the only way it could be told. So, my thoughts on this book are not the normal format. That adorable feather mask above was a gift from the author at the signing.

Karou grows up believing she is an orphan and that the life she has become accustomed to is normal that she can open doors and find herself in a new location within seconds or that she helps out her foster father by collecting teeth, or that he is also a wishmonger who grants wished for these teeth. Every birthday she is bestowed with a new language and her natural blue hair, well, that was the one wish she was granted unlike the others she might have thought about. As the story unfolds, you easily believe this world in which Karou tries desperately to be normal, attending art school with her best friend Zuzana while drawing fantastical pictures of demons and creatures that should only exist in her imagination. But those creatures are real.

To say this book is exciting is an understatement. There are breathtaking fights, a true romance that you will never see coming, bits of angels and demon lore, and characters that truly jump off the page and are suitable for an action movie. The story starts out in the presents and then flashes back to Karou's past, while again going forward. I know it sounds really strange, but it all comes together perfectly. I wish I could put into words how much I enjoyed Taylor's writing but I am at loss. It is just such a magical place that she takes you to and the way it is written is completely fabulous!
6 likes · Likeflag

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Heidi Oh Mary I loved this book! I can't wait to see what you think of it!

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) Oohhh so good! I loved it.

Mary (BookHounds) writing my review right now and a giveaway -- I have that mask in the picture to giveaway!

Heidi ohh I will stop by! I just posted my review on my blog of this book the other day. One of my favs of the year!

Mary (BookHounds) I know -- Mine too! Of course there is a wiener dog quote from one of the characters LOL

message 6: by Darlene (new) - added it

Darlene Let me know how this is.I saw it last night on my reader.

♥♥Mari♥♥ Oh, Mary, what a BEAUTIFUL, and very thorough review!! I bought this book last year (yesterday, actually, lol), and want to get to it just as soon as possible!!!! I'll probably start it today!! Good way to start out the year, right? Thanks for the great review!! ^=

Mary (BookHounds) Thanks Mari!

I thought this was one of the best books of the year! Well, last year and now I can't wait until the next one. When I saw Laini speak she mentioned that she was writing it then and Zuzana will be back! I was thrilled to hear that!

Heidi Mary I agree it was so hard to try to convey the stunning imagery and amazing writing in my review as well. This book was on my blog top ten list of the year and probably my favorite! It was awesome!

Mary (BookHounds) And....wouldn't this make a great movie? Although I know it could never come close to the written page.

♥♥Mari♥♥ You're very welcome, Mary! I've already started it, and I LOVE the writing! So Laini is currently at work on the sequel? WOW. Can't wait!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! : )