Susan (The Book Bag)'s Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Jan 03, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011, books-read-in-2012
Read from December 19, 2011 to August 20, 2012

I loved this book! I was first drawn to it because of the cover. That will not come as a surprise to any of you that have been around for awhile. I am a cover lover and this one is beautiful ~~ it caught my eye the very first time I saw it.

And the story is beautiful as well. Victoria had to go through so much as a young child and young adult. The reader immediately wants to see her succeed and be happy. But how can she be? She feels she does not deserve to be happy.

Through her love of flowers and her knowledge of the language of flowers, she is finally able to make a life for herself but she is always fearful that it won't last. She does not want to let people get too close to her. She has had to be on her own her whole life and she learned cannot depend on anyone.

I loved how Victoria could 'read' people and was able to give them the flowers that would have the most meaning to them and would make a change in their lives. It seemed very magical or spiritual to me and it reminded me of the book Chocolat and how the shop owner, Vianne Rocher, could find the right chocolate for her customers and change their lives.

This is such a moving story. I savored the book and found myself reading it slowly so that it wouldn't have to end. I also had to take breaks from it to allow my tears to dry. This book touched my heart and made me feel like I was a part of Victoria's life.

What an amazing book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.